Thursday, August 20, 2026

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a new precedent for other players to challenge the NCAA’s “ghost transfer” rule.

Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.
William Howard-Imagn Images

While dozens of lawsuits challenge the NCAA’s eligibility rules, a new and potentially seismic case is now challenging the NCAA’s transfer portal.

On Tuesday, former SMU women’s basketball player Kyla Deck sued the NCAA and SMU, arguing the NCAA’s transfer portal window and subsequent restrictions for women’s basketball violated federal antitrust laws. Deck has asked for an injunction preventing the NCAA from enforcing its transfer portal restrictions and for damages.

If Deck is successful, the ruling would apply to only her. But because the case was filed in federal court (the Northern District of Texas Dallas Division), it could potentially set a precedent for other players.

Without a favorable ruling, the 21-page complaint reads, “Deck will lose her eligibility to complete her collegiate athletic career under the same rules as her teammates to whom the Transfer Notification Period and the new Five-Year Eligibility Rule applied following the 2025-2026 season. In turn, Deck will lose the scholarship and other opportunities that would have been available to her as she strives to complete her degree. Deck also will lose the significant Name, Image, and Likeness (NIL) compensation she would receive from playing in the 2026-2027 season.”

Deck is one of thousands of Division I athletes who are now eligible for a fifth year of competition thanks to the July 31 ruling in the proposed class action Wisne v. NCAA. The case challenged the NCAA’s decision not to grandfather players from the freshman class of 2022 who had already completed four years of competition into its new “age-based eligibility policy,” which grants athletes five years to complete five seasons starting on their 19th birthday or when they enter college. On July 31, Colorado district court judge Charlotte Sweeney granted an injunction forcing the NCAA to allow these players a fifth year. 

But there was a catch: While the NCAA couldn’t preclude them from a fifth season, it could enforce its “ghost transfer” rule. Any player who didn’t put their name in the transfer portal during the 2025–26 transfer window couldn’t transfer now—limiting opportunities for many players whose previous teams filled their rosters before this ruling was made. The NCAA has said repeatedly that it would punish schools who play athletes who didn’t put their name in the portal during the requisite period.

Many players with newfound eligibility have filed separate state-specific lawsuits asking for a judge to enjoin the NCAA’s transfer portal restrictions—and many have been successful. But with this federal case specifically challenging the transfer portal rule on federal antitrust grounds, Deck has taken a different route.

The SMU senior, along with her team, had applied to receive a waiver to play this upcoming season due to a previous injury, according to her lawsuit. But because she wanted to stay at SMU, she didn’t ask to enter her name into the transfer portal. Now, she finds herself with another year, but without the opportunity to transfer—something she will need given that SMU told her it doesn’t have a roster spot for her, the complaint says.

“She does not ask the Court to compel SMU to retain her, to award her athletics aid, or to require any institution to recruit or sign her,” the complaint reads. “She asks only that Defendants be restrained from enforcing a deadline and a penalty schedule against her and against institutions willing to deal with her.”

While most of these cases don’t name schools, instead focusing solely on the NCAA as a defendant, Deck’s lawsuit names SMU because the school “agreed to and implements the NCAA restraints that prevent Deck from moving to a competing buyer after SMU elected not to retain her,” the complaint reads.

“Kyla Deck’s case shows how quickly the NCAA can change rules on student athletes who have no say in making them and no way to plan around them,” Deck’s attorney, Chris Langone, told Front Office Sports in a statement. “What she has been denied is any opportunity to be considered by a team. We have asked the court to lift that barrier, and to make clear that no school will be punished for following its order.”

A spokesperson for SMU declined to comment, and the NCAA did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.

Buss Family Drama Won’t Stop Lakers Sale to Iger and Kushner

Sources say the deal is unaffected by the Buss family dispute.
Jan 14, 2026; Dallas, Texas, USA; A view of the Denver Nuggets logo on the shorts of guard Tim Hardaway Jr. (10) during the game against the Dallas Mavericks at the American Airlines Center. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-Imagn Images
Exclusive

Noah Reed, Katy Winge Form New Nuggets Broadcast Team

Jason Richardson and Lauren Gardner will also join Nuggets broadcasts.

Ogwumike to Play in Project B Despite WNBA Retirement

She will still play for Project B, the new global basketball league.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.