Friday, August 21, 2026

NCAA Athletes From Class of 2022 Can Get 5th Year of Eligibility: Federal Ruling

The proposed class action was filed in the wake of the new NCAA eligibility policy allowing players five years to complete five seasons.

Jun 18, 2023; Omaha, NE, USA; An on-deck circle with the NCAA logo is pictured on the field before the game between the Virginia Cavaliers and the TCU Horned Frogs at Charles Schwab Field Omaha
Dylan Widger-USA TODAY Sports

Thousands of athletes who thought their NCAA playing careers were finished may have just gotten another year of eligibility.

On Friday, Colorado district court judge Charlotte Sweeney granted a preliminary injunction in a proposed class action called Wisne v. NCAA. The injunction requires the NCAA to grant a fifth year of eligibility to athletes who graduated high school in 2022, but who had already completed four years of eligibility by the end of this season.

The lawsuit was filed shortly after the NCAA announced a new “age-based” eligibility policy in June. The new rules, effective immediately, allowed players five years to complete five seasons (starting on their 19th birthday or when they enrolled in college, whichever occurred first), but stated athletes from the class of 2022 who completed four years would not be eligible for a fifth year.

The decision set off a cascade of lawsuits, first in state courts and applying specifically to the athletes who filed the cases. Wisne, however, took a different route, arguing in federal court that the NCAA’s decision violated federal antitrust laws. All the lawsuits argued players would lose valuable NIL (name, image, and likeness) opportunities among other educational benefits if they were denied a fifth year.

By the time the Wisne ruling came down, some of the state lawsuits had already obtained  preliminary injunctions of their own. But the Wisne preliminary injunction, granted via a 50-page ruling, could ultimately result in tens of thousands of college athletes gaining another year of eligibility.

However, questions—and legal processes—remain. 

First, it’s unclear if this ruling is permanent. The NCAA is likely to appeal, as it has in other cases (the governing body previously said it intends to fight this wave of eligibility lawsuits one by one). The ruling also did not explicitly enjoin the NCAA’s “rule of restitution,” suggesting the NCAA could theoretically punish players and schools who participate in these new rules once they are ultimately overturned in court.

The ruling also raises questions about how teams might approach this new pool of eligible athletes. Players themselves who spent the entire summer assuming their NCAA days were over may have to find out if they can backtrack, including players who have initiated the process of entering the pros or have already played in pro leagues.

The transfer portal is another issue—it’s unclear if these players would have to violate another NCAA rule (transferring outside the stated window) to get to a roster that would take them between now and September. A previous ruling in a state lawsuit in Ohio addressed this transfer conundrum, but the Colorado ruling did not.

In a statement Friday night, NCAA president Charlie Baker again implored stakeholders to advance the Protect College Sports Act, which the NCAA has endorsed as a way to implement legal protections on NCAA rules like eligibility restrictions. (As the Wisne ruling circulated throughout college sports Friday night, negotiations were ongoing to advance the bill.)

“Without targeted intervention from Congress, college sports cannot set nationwide rules everyone can play by and without Congress, failed professionals will continue to use college sports as a fallback option—robbing the next class of young athletes of college scholarships,” Baker said. “Today’s rulings and the chaos they bring to college sports are exactly why it’s time to pass this bill.”

Rob Shelquist, partner at Cuneo Gilbert Flannery & LaDuca, LLP representing the plaintiffs, said in a statement to Front Office Sports that the NCAA may have set this rule to create chaos in the first place. “It appears that the decision to exclude the college athletes knowing that they would likely win a TRO was for political expediency to publicize the need for legislative action,” he said. “We are concerned that having decisively achieved a hard-won victory, the PCSA will now ignore the Judge’s careful analysis and block the college athletes’ access to the courts in the future.”

In the long run, the ruling leaves arguably more questions than answers for many athletes. But for now, it’s a devastating blow to the NCAA’s eligibility policy, which was implemented in part to stop the flood of lawsuits, rather than create a new one. 

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

First at FOS

Key NFL Committees Clear Way for $9.6 Billion Seahawks Sale

The sale is now likely to be ratified next week.

Judge: Players Can Go From NFL Training Camp Back to College

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit challenging the NCAA’s new eligibility model.
Jan 18, 2025; Atlanta, GA, USA; Greg McElroy during 2025 CFP National Championship Media Day at Georgia World Congress Center, Building A. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Greg McElroy Talks SEC vs. Big Ten Debate, Next Top Coaches

The ex-Alabama QB is entering his 13th season with ESPN.
The Delaware Life logo is seen on a web browser in this illustration taken on August 17, 2026.

Mark Walter Has Been Here Before. What Happens Next?

“There’s fraud here,” one expert tells FOS.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
First at FOS
August 17, 2026

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.
August 19, 2026

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.