Friday, August 21, 2026

Infantino Calls Off Plan to Sell Stakes in World Cup

The FIFA president said the project “created divisions” that don’t accomplish his goal.

Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Semi Final - France v Spain - Dallas Stadium, Arlington, Texas, U.S. - July 14, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino before the match
IMAGN IMAGES via Reuters/Maria Lysaker

FIFA president Gianni Infantino is throwing out his plans to commercialize the World Cup with outside investors.

FIFA announced in a press release on Friday night that Infantino’s $20 billion vision of FIFA Forward Enterprise will not move forward in its current form. The three continental soccer bodies representing Europe, North America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Asia all came out against the plan to varying degrees: UEFA said it would boycott all FIFA tournaments, CONCACAF said its members “rejected” the plan, and the AFC said it joined the others “in expressing serious concern.” Two top FIFA officials also spoke out against the plan on Friday.

The New York Post first reported the news that the plan was off, while Sky Sports was the first to report Infantino’s comments.

“Having listened carefully to all the views, it has become clear that the project has created divisions of a nature that, regardless of the level of support, are no longer in the interest of the objective set out in the first place,” Infantino said. “Our purpose has always been – and will always be – to unite and improve. As a result, this proposal will not proceed.

“Moving forward, my intent is to bring all interested parties back together in the coming days and weeks in the spirit of shared interest in our game, and with the objective to continue growing football everywhere, and particularly in those countries that mostly need our support.”

Thrive Eternal, the holding company of Joshua Kushner that was set to lead the 20% stake in FIFA Forward Enterprise, did not return requests for comment.

Even with the plan dead, Infantino’s previously ironclad grip on FIFA may be loosening. On Saturday morning, UEFA put out a lengthy statement saying that its members had lost confidence in Infantino, saying the president had “failed to deliver” and been “anything but transparent” about the investment scheme.

“We cannot keep going on like this with secret schemes on fast track timescales, cooked up by faceless individuals and of dubious benefit to the game,” the statement read. “We must identify those responsible and hold them to account.” The statement pointed out that FIFA has enormous cash reserves—more than $5 billion—and that Infantino “has also failed to use associations’ money for the benefit of the game.”

CONCACAF also expressed its members’ reservations about Infantino’s reign.

“A proposal of this magnitude does not reach that stage by accident. It is a symptom of leadership that has stopped putting football first,” the body said in a statement. “This recent unilateral and egregious act of poor governance and leadership follows a pattern of missteps and similar behavior. A comprehensive reckoning with this presidency is imperative.”

A Whirlwind Week

On July 26, Infantino shared an obscure 15-slide Instagram post blasting people who were “hating” FIFA and on the World Cup, and falsely claimed the tournament had “zero incidents, zero hostility, zero violence.”

Two days later, media reports forced FIFA to announce its plan for FFE, which would have combined its media rights, partnerships, ticketing, licensing, and tournament operations into one $20 billion entity. FIFA wanted to raise $4.2 billion from outside capital, roughly a 20% stake in the business, led by Kushner’s Thrive Eternal, and claimed those investors would have minority stakes with no “operational role.” FIFA said the plan would increase payouts for its 211 member associations by millions of dollars, starting with $20 million in the upcoming World Cup cycle.

Reports then emerged that Infantino in a letter had told national federations they had until Sept. 19 to accept the proposal. Infantino also sweetened the deal, promising an additional $20 million for member associations that would accept, bringing their total for the upcoming World Cup cycle to $40 million. 

Backlash was swift. UEFA immediately put out a statement condemning the plans, while CONCACAF and the AFC said they were concerned about how they had been blindsided by the announcement. The Confederation of African Football said it planned to “assess and evaluate” the proposal, while the Oceania Football Confederation said “the proposal will be considered.”

Several experts in law, corporate governance, and sports business told Front Office Sports they were concerned about FIFA’s lack of transparency, the notion of investors possibly having outside influence, the impact on fans, and possible antitrust violations.

On Thursday, UEFA held an emergency meeting in which all 55 national federations agreed to boycott all FIFA tournaments as long as the FFE proposal was still on the table. On Thursday afternoon, CONCACAF held a similar meeting, and announced its membership had “rejected” the proposal, though it didn’t go as far as a boycott. The two confederations amounted to 90 votes against the proposal; Infantino would need 106 for it to pass.

Late Thursday, FIFA released a list of “clarifications” that blamed “incorrect media reports” for getting in the way of its “planned consultation process.” This press release angered the AFC, which said Friday that despite FIFA’s clarifications, “the central concerns surrounding governance, institutional process and meaningful consultation remain unanswered.”

Rising Chorus Against Infantino’s Plan

Also on Friday, two key FIFA leaders came out against the plan.

The first was Carlos Cordeiro—Infantino’s top advisor, the former president of U.S. Soccer, and a major link between FIFA and the Trump administration—who resigned from his role due to the proposal. Cordeiro, a former Goldman Sachs banker, said the proposal was “a bad deal for football,” the sport’s future, and the member associations. He also questioned the need to raise outside capital after the most lucrative World Cup ever, and said the lack of answers to “fundamental questions” was “most troubling of all.”

The other was FIFA COO Kevin Lamour, who told the Associated Press that senior staff had been “deceived” by FIFA’s “project of one person.”

“Not only must this project not go ahead,” Lamour said, “but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”

Infantino’s close ally, U.S. president Donald Trump, essentially brushed off a question about FIFA from a reporter at Camp David on Friday. When asked if he had spoken to FIFA or Infantino about the proposal, Trump said, “No, I never spoke to him,” then turned to take the next question.

U.K. Prime Minister Andy Burnham said the proposal demonstrated Infantino is the “wrong man” to lead FIFA.

The continental bodies criticized FIFA’s lack of due process and said they were unaware of the proposal until it leaked in the media. The AFC said “football should never have been placed in such a position” where World Cup boycotts would be possible, and that FIFA needs to “undertake an urgent review of its governance and decision-making framework.” Even Cordeiro, despite being close to Infantino, said he had “no involvement” in the proposal.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Leandro Paredes Hit With 10-Game Ban for World Cup Final Brawl

The Argentine midfielder attacked two Spanish players after the whistle.

Appeals Court Pauses Fifth Year of Eligibility Order

An appeals court has yet to make a final decision.

Marc Lore Sells Wolves in Another NBA Ownership Stunner

The move comes just 14 months after Lore took over in Minnesota.
Sep 7, 2025; Flushing, NY, USA; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts against Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) (not pictured) during the final of mens singles at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Jannik Sinner Announces He Will Miss the US Open

Carlos Alcaraz announced Thursday that he will return at the US Open.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.

Infantino Election Tracker: Who Is Voting Against FIFA President

Federations continue dropping support for Gianni Infantino.
August 6, 2026

Europe Still Plans to Boycott World Cups, UEFA Says  

Six European teams face uncertainty ahead of the U-20 Women’s World Cup. 
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - 50th Ordinary UEFA Congress - Brussels Expo, Brussels, Belgium - February 12, 2026 FIFA president Gianni Infantino speaks during the event
August 14, 2026

The 3 Weeks That Brought Gianni Infantino and FIFA to the Brink

The FIFA president has had a no good, very bad stretch.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 3, 2026

England Withdraws Support for Infantino as Opposition Grows

England, Wales, and Serbia all withdrew support for Infantino’s reelection.
August 3, 2026

Pochettino Back for Another World Cup Cycle With Griffin Funding

The U.S. is 17–12–2 under the Argentine coach.
July 31, 2026

Trump Quiet As Infantino World Cup Scheme Collapses

Infantino is rapidly losing support inside and outside FIFA.
July 31, 2026

Infantino Loses Key FIFA Officials in Drive to Sell World Cup Stake

Serious pressure is mounting on Gianni Infantino.