Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Europe, North America Unanimously Reject Infantino’s World Cup Plan

All 55 European countries voted to boycott World Cups until a sale was off the table, while the 41 CONCACAF federations “rejected” Gianni Infantino’s plan.

REUTERS/Mike Segar

Europe and North America unanimously came out against Gianni Infantino’s plan to commercialize FIFA on Thursday, taking away a major bloc of votes he would need to push forward the proposal.

All 55 Europe soccer federations said in a joint statement that they are ready to boycott World Cups if FIFA moves forward with its proposal for creating a commercial entity. The North American, Central American, and Caribbean federations did not say they would boycott, but they still “rejected” the proposal.

Infantino’s plan is now in serious trouble. He needs a simple majority of FIFA’s 211 national federations—106 votes—to pass the plan. UEFA and CONCACAF’s moves Thursday mean that at least 90 countries are against it. (Six of the 41 CONCACAF members are not FIFA members.)

“U.S. Soccer stands with Concacaf and its members,” the American federation said Thursday afternoon.

The European continental body voted unanimously at an emergency meeting Thursday to boycott all FIFA tournaments if the global governing body moves forward with its plan. The Women’s World Cup is next summer in Brazil, but FIFA also conducts other tournaments. Poland is hosting the U-20 Women’s World Cup in September.

“As a result of today’s discussion, no UEFA national teams will participate in any FIFA competition for so long as these proposals remain alive, unless this proposal has been abandoned in its entirety and binding assurances have been given that FIFA will never again open its governance or competitions to private ownership,” the confederation said in a statement Thursday.

Later Thursday, CONCACAF, the confederation of North America, Central America, and the Caribbean, announced it had “rejected” the proposal.

“During the meeting, the membership expressed deep concerns about the lack of due process surrounding the proposal, the artificially short deadline imposed, and the absence of any review or approval by the relevant FIFA governance bodies,” CONCACAF said in a statement. “In addition, the need for private equity investment to fund new and existing FIFA Forward programs following the most profitable FIFA World Cup in history was questioned.”

On Tuesday, FIFA announced a plan to commercialize the World Cup and its other tournaments, consolidating several money-making parts of its business into an entity called FIFA Forward Enterprise, and selling off a roughly 20% stake of that company to outside investors. The prospective lead investor, Thrive Eternal, is run by Joshua Kushner, whose older brother, Jared, is U.S. President Donald Trump’s son-in-law, and whose father, Charles, is Trump’s ambassador to France and Monaco.

UEFA had previously threatened a World Cup boycott in 2021 when FIFA proposed holding the tournament every two years.

“It is both irresponsible and indefensible that a proposal of such significance for football was conceived in secret and brought to the brink of approval without any meaningful consultation with those entrusted with stewarding the game,” UEFA said Thursday. “This is not merely a profound failure of leadership, but an abdication of FIFA’s duty as the custodian of world football.”

The European statement said that “our opposition goes far beyond process” and that “this model has no place” in global soccer.

“Commercial return becomes a permanent obligation. Investor expectations become a daily pressure,” UEFA said. “From that moment onwards, every decision on the international calendar, every decision on competition formats and every decision shaping the future of football is no longer driven by what best serves the game, but by what best serves shareholders.”

FIFA has maintained that investors would have a minority share in FFE and no operational control.

FIFA did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Poland’s soccer federation did not immediately respond to questions about whether Thursday’s decision changes anything for the women’s U-20 tournament.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

First at FOS

NFL Isn’t Happy With Nielsen’s Latest Changes

The league is amplifying efforts to work with other audience-measurement firms.

Buss Family Drama Won’t Stop Lakers Sale to Iger and Kushner

Sources say the deal is unaffected by the Buss family dispute.

LIV Golf CEO: ‘I Hope We Can’ Pay Unpaid Vendors

Lawsuits over missed payments are piling up.

Ogwumike to Play in Project B Despite WNBA Retirement

She will still play for Project B, the new global basketball league.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/19/26 – Lakers Family Feud, NFL Eyes Overseas Team, Knicks Embarrass Nets

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.

Infantino Election Tracker: Who Is Voting Against FIFA President

Federations continue dropping support for Gianni Infantino.
August 6, 2026

Europe Still Plans to Boycott World Cups, UEFA Says  

Six European teams face uncertainty ahead of the U-20 Women’s World Cup. 
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - 50th Ordinary UEFA Congress - Brussels Expo, Brussels, Belgium - February 12, 2026 FIFA president Gianni Infantino speaks during the event
August 14, 2026

The 3 Weeks That Brought Gianni Infantino and FIFA to the Brink

The FIFA president has had a no good, very bad stretch.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 3, 2026

England Withdraws Support for Infantino as Opposition Grows

England, Wales, and Serbia all withdrew support for Infantino’s reelection.
August 3, 2026

Pochettino Back for Another World Cup Cycle With Griffin Funding

The U.S. is 17–12–2 under the Argentine coach.
Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Semi Final - France v Spain - Dallas Stadium, Arlington, Texas, U.S. - July 14, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino before the match
July 31, 2026

Infantino Calls Off Plan to Sell Stakes in World Cup

Soccer officials inside and outside FIFA strongly criticized the proposal.
July 31, 2026

Trump Quiet As Infantino World Cup Scheme Collapses

Infantino is rapidly losing support inside and outside FIFA.