Friday, August 21, 2026

Infantino Loses Key FIFA Officials in Drive to Sell World Cup Stake

Carlos Cordeiro quit Friday, while FIFA’s COO called the controversial sale plan “the project of one person” and said senior leaders had been “deceived” by the president.

REUTERS/Leah Millis

Two top FIFA officials blasted FIFA president Gianni Infantino’s plan to further commercialize the World Cup, with Infantino’s top adviser resigning and the organization’s COO calling the proposal “the project of one person.”

Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, quit Friday and delivered a blistering statement against the plan to bring private investors into the governing body’s business.

Cordeiro is a former Goldman Sachs banker who was the president of U.S. Soccer from 2018 to 2020 and was a major link between Infantino and U.S. President Donald Trump. He issued a scathing statement on his way out the door. He said he had “no involvement” in the FIFA proposal and said “I oppose it unequivocally” because it is a “bad deal” for national federations, the sport, and the future of soccer.

“FIFA’s responsibility is not to maximize commercial returns at any cost,” Cordeiro wrote.

FIFA COO Kevin Lamour did not resign, but did tell the Associated Press that senior staff was “deceived” by Infantino’s lack of transparency and “deserve better than contempt and intimidation.”

“It is the project of one person,” said Lamour. “Not only must this project not go ahead … but the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions.”

Lamour also said if he gets fired for speaking out, “then so be it. … At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”

The soccer leaders are the latest voices in a growing chorus questioning Infantino’s leadership this week. Infantino had been heading unopposed toward reelection in March.

On Tuesday, following several media reports detailing the plan, FIFA announced FIFA Forward Enterprise, a new $20 billion commercial engine that would house media rights, sponsorship, ticketing, licensing, and tournament operations. Part of the plan involves raising $4.2 billion from outside investors—selling a 20% stake, with Joshua Kushner, the brother of Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, as the lead investor.

The billions of dollars from Kushner and others would mean national federations would each get $40 million, up from $10 million, in the upcoming World Cup cycle if the plan passes. 

FIFA has access to billions of dollars without any debt, Cordeiro wrote, and already has enough money to support its federations. “Against that backdrop, selling a permanent stake in football’s most valuable asset to raise $4.2 billion makes little sense,” Cordeiro said.

The former Infantino adviser said many important questions are still remaining about how the proposal came together and how it would work, but federations are being pushed to make a decision by Sept. 19.

Cordeiro’s and Lamour’s responses come a day after UEFA and CONCACAF rejected the plan. Europe said it would boycott future FIFA tournaments as long as the proposal is alive, while the federations in North America, Central America, and the Caribbean questioned the need for outside investment after the most financially successful World Cup. Together, the two federations account for 90 FIFA federations against the plan; Infantino needs 106 of 211 countries in support for it to pass.

Amid the pressure, late Thursday night, FIFA put out a press release of “clarifications” that reaffirmed its commitment to the FFE plan, and blamed “incorrect media reports” for throwing off its “planned consultation process.”

Friday morning, the Asian Football Confederation delivered a new statement joining UEFA and CONCACAF “in expressing serious concern” about the plan and how it was announced.

“While the AFC notes FIFA’s latest clarification on the proposal, the central concerns surrounding governance, institutional process and meaningful consultation remain unanswered,” the AFC said Friday.

The AFC said “football should never have been placed in such a position” where World Cup boycotts are on the table, and said FIFA needs to “undertake an urgent review of its governance and decision-making framework.”

Should the 46 FIFA member associations of the AFC also unanimously reject the plan, Infantino would not have the votes to pass the FFE proposal.

U.K. Prime Minister Andy Burnham, who took office just last week said Friday that the FFE proposal shows Infantino is the “wrong man” to lead FIFA.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Leandro Paredes Hit With 10-Game Ban for World Cup Final Brawl

The Argentine midfielder attacked two Spanish players after the whistle.

Appeals Court Pauses Fifth Year of Eligibility Order

An appeals court has yet to make a final decision.

Marc Lore Sells Wolves in Another NBA Ownership Stunner

The move comes just 14 months after Lore took over in Minnesota.
Sep 7, 2025; Flushing, NY, USA; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts against Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) (not pictured) during the final of mens singles at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Jannik Sinner Announces He Will Miss the US Open

Carlos Alcaraz announced Thursday that he will return at the US Open.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.

Infantino Election Tracker: Who Is Voting Against FIFA President

Federations continue dropping support for Gianni Infantino.
August 6, 2026

Europe Still Plans to Boycott World Cups, UEFA Says  

Six European teams face uncertainty ahead of the U-20 Women’s World Cup. 
FILE PHOTO: Soccer Football - 50th Ordinary UEFA Congress - Brussels Expo, Brussels, Belgium - February 12, 2026 FIFA president Gianni Infantino speaks during the event
August 14, 2026

The 3 Weeks That Brought Gianni Infantino and FIFA to the Brink

The FIFA president has had a no good, very bad stretch.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 3, 2026

England Withdraws Support for Infantino as Opposition Grows

England, Wales, and Serbia all withdrew support for Infantino’s reelection.
August 3, 2026

Pochettino Back for Another World Cup Cycle With Griffin Funding

The U.S. is 17–12–2 under the Argentine coach.
Soccer Football - FIFA World Cup 2026 - Semi Final - France v Spain - Dallas Stadium, Arlington, Texas, U.S. - July 14, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino before the match
July 31, 2026

Infantino Calls Off Plan to Sell Stakes in World Cup

Soccer officials inside and outside FIFA strongly criticized the proposal.
July 31, 2026

Trump Quiet As Infantino World Cup Scheme Collapses

Infantino is rapidly losing support inside and outside FIFA.