MLB’s postseason bubble plan is awaiting union approval, according to reports. The league and the MLB Players Association agreed to a bubble-style postseason in March, but further approval is needed for modified protocols.
Guaranteed player participation is desired to ensure MLB can bring in the upwards of $1 billion in TV revenue from the expanded playoff format. A bubble could prevent the multiple-day postponements seen throughout the shortened regular season that would be catastrophic to a strictly-scheduled postseason.
MLB Bubble Breakdown:
- Best-of-three wildcard games hosted by top four seeds in each league, starting Sept. 29.
- National League Division Series would take place in Texas in Arlington and Houston.
- American League Division Series would take place in California in San Diego and Los Angeles.
- National League Championship Series would take place in Arlington.
- American League Championship Series would take place in San Diego.
- The World Series would take place in Arlington, starting Oct. 20 and ending no later than Oct. 28.