Former BYU quarterback Jake Retzlaff is heading to the Big Easy.
Retzlaff has verbally committed to transfer to Tulane, ESPN reported Monday. The quarterback went 11–2 with the Cougars last year including a victory over ranked Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, but decided to leave Provo earlier this year after receiving a suspension tied to an honor code violation.
In May, a woman accused Retzlaff of raping her in November 2023. The filing by the anonymous woman alleging rape said that Provo police discouraged her from reporting the incident, which the department denied to FOS. In late June, BYU informed Retzlaff that he would receive a seven-game suspension for violating the school’s strict honor code by having premarital sex, after which the quarterback decided to transfer. Retzlaff denied the rape allegation and said in a legal filing he had had “consensual” sex with the woman before the court accepted both parties’ requrest to drop the case following a settlement.
“We are grateful for the time Jake Retzlaff has spent at BYU,” a spokesperson said in a statement to Front Office Sports earlier this month. “As he moves forward, BYU Athletics understands and respects Jake’s decision to withdraw from BYU, and we wish him all the best as he enters the next phase of his career.”
Retzlaff, 22, drew national attention as the first Jewish starting quarterback at the predominantly Mormon school. The “BY-Jew” signed an NIL deal with Manischewitz to promote their matzo. A spokesperson for the company told FOS at the end of June that his one-year deal terminated at the end of that month and had not yet been renewed. The company did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday.
Upon leaving BYU, Retzlaff knew he would be heading to a school “in desperate need of an experienced college quarterback,” according to Deseret News. ESPN reported that Retzlaff is not guaranteed the starting job and was vetted by the school’s Title IX office. A spokesperson for Tulane did not comment. Retzlaff is not yet listed on the school’s official football roster.
Because of the timing of the court filing, Retzlaff missed the spring transfer window. He officially withdrew from BYU on July 11, ESPN reported, and he will simply re-enroll at Tulane. Retzlaff has one year of eligibility remaining after throwing for nearly 3,000 yards with 20 touchdowns last season.