Thursday, May 21, 2026

USL Announces Tentative New CBA After Player Protests

Players have protested on the field at the start of matches as negotiations dragged into the regular season.

Clayton Freeman/Florida Times-Union

The United Soccer League and its players association tentatively agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement after more than a year-and-a-half of negotiations that included a federal mediator and on-field protests this season.

Players in the second-tier U.S. men’s league have been competing this spring under the terms of their old CBA that expired at the end of last year. Negotiations began in August 2024, and by March 2026, the two sides were still far apart on minimum compensation, health insurance, and NIL rights.

The USL and USLPA released a joint statement on Thursday night that they “have reached a tentative agreement on key terms” of the CBA, though more steps remain to cement the deal, including final ratification.

“This milestone represents a significant step forward for the league and its players, reflecting a shared commitment to the continued growth of the game and the advancement of professional standards,” the statement read.

The deal will go into effect when it is ratified and run through 2030, with a healthcare trigger that could extend it through 2031, two people familiar with the negotiations tell Front Office Sports.

The new minimum compensation, which includes salary and housing, will start at $42,000 and increase throughout the life of the deal, the sources say. Entry-level deals for young players on their first pro contract can be signed at $34,000 starting in 2027, one of the people says. Contracts will now last 12 months instead of 10.

After players voted overwhelmingly to authorize a strike in February, they have stood still for a minute at the start of some matches this season in protest. Players also wore shirts reading “Do you stand with the players, USSF?” before U.S. Open Cup matches.

Players wanted to establish league-wide professional standards with the new CBA. “The sentiment across the entire player pool is that that floor needs to rise significantly higher across the board,” USLPA president and Colorado Springs Switchbacks defender Duke Lacroix told FOS in March.

The USLPA continually posted about perceived areas of improvement on social media throughout the negotiations, most recently on Tuesday. The union recently posted about 20% of clubs not offering health insurance, pitch quality, and post-game meals.

On the league side, USL president of competition and administration Brett Luy told ESPN “we need a willing dance partner here.”

All clubs will need to offer players the same health insurance options as their front office staff, the sources say. The CBA can be extended another year if the league, clubs, and players agree upon a centralized healthcare plan—meaning players wouldn’t change insurance providers if they switch teams—by a certain date in the 2029 season.

The new CBA will cover both the existing USL Championship and the planned USL Premier. The USL announced last year it would create in 2028 a new Division One tier, USL Premier, to sit above the USL Championship and current USL League One, and establish a system for promotion and relegation. USL League One has its own CBA that runs through next year. 

Under the new CBA, the minimum compensation for the USL Premier in 2028 will be $67,500, according to the sources, with the entry-level deal at $50,000.

Two other key points of the deal revolve around group licensing and prize money, the sources say. The CBA will create a bundled group licensing deal that will include all three levels of men’s soccer plus the women’s USL Super League, with fees coming from the USL and the clubs, and the USL will offer players prize money for the first time, though those details are still being finalized, sources say.

On Tuesday morning, MLS announced a private equity investment from the firm KKR into MLS Next Pro, its own league between its youth level (MLS Next) and first tier professional league. Most MLS Next Pro teams are affiliated with MLS clubs, though three are independent.

“This investment will help build and grow MLS Next Pro and reflects our ambition to expand into new markets, develop soccer-specific infrastructure, elevate the matchday experience, and deepen connections between our clubs and their communities,” MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement.

Kartik Krishnaiyer of Beyond The 90’, which covers soccer’s lower divisions, reported that some USL owners had been pushing toward an agreement on Wednesday, then “there was a bomb dropped in the room” on Thursday with the MLS Next Pro announcement.

“I think everybody sees the MLS Next Pro piece as a threat,” Krishnaiyer said.

Both sources say the timing of the MLS Next Pro announcement did not impact the USL negotiations.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Mamdani Gets 1,000 Cheap World Cup Tickets After FIFA Talks

They’re the cheapest World Cup tickets on the primary market.
exclusive

World Cup Will Block Notorious Dallas Glare for At Least One Game

FIFA will use the curtains for a 6 p.m. kickoff match this summer.

How Philadelphia Built a $140 Million World Cup War Chest

Philly’s private fundraising is unique among World Cup host cities.

Featured Today

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.
May 13, 2026

How Sports Graphic Designers Are Grappling With the Rise of AI Art

The release of ChatGPT 2.0 Images sparked a conversation among sports designers.
May 12, 2026

Collectible Cups Are Sending Sports Fans Into a Frenzy

The drink is secondary to the wild vessel it comes in.

Caitlin Clark’s Late Scratch Sparks WNBA Injury Report Questions

The Fever said she woke up with back soreness ahead of Wednesday’s game.
Valkyries President Jess Smith
May 19, 2026

Valkyries President: Team’s Projected $1B Valuation Is ‘Accurate’

The Valkyries were projected to be the first 10-figure WNBA team.
May 20, 2026

Jannik Sinner Headlines French Open Clouded By Player Unrest

Players will walk out of opening press conferences after 15 minutes.
Sponsored

Mark Cuban Peels Back the Curtain

Mark Cuban discusses sports ownership, the rise of NIL, and the evolving media landscape.
May 19, 2026

NFL Moves Closer to 10 International Games—and Could Hit 11

The league builds out further its international scheduling plans.
May 19, 2026

NFL Sets Another Super Bowl Without Dates As Schedule Questions Loom

The home markets of the Titans and Vikings each landed a big event.
Mar 30, 2026; Las Vegas, Nevada, USA; Vegas Golden Knights head coach John Tortorella holds a presser after the Golden Knights defeated the Vancouver Canucks 4-2 at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-Imagn Images
May 19, 2026

NHL Denies Appeal for John Tortorella, Golden Knights

Tortorella was fined $100,000 and the team was docked a draft pick.
May 19, 2026

Cuban: NBA Is Walking Into ‘Hornet’s Nest’ in Europe

The ex-Mavs majority owner is worried about the passion of European fans.