The punishments for the Las Vegas Golden Knights and coach John Tortorella for skipping media availability after a recent playoff game have been upheld upon appeal, the NHL confirmed to Front Office Sports.
Tortorella declined to speak with reporters after the Golden Knights finished off the Anaheim Ducks in Game 6 of the Western Conference Semifinals last week, and the team didn’t open up its dressing room to media members. Tortorella was fined $100,000, and the Golden Knights were docked a second-round pick in this year’s draft.
“Vegas’s appeal was heard in person this morning,” the NHL said in a statement. “The penalties currently stand as originally assessed.”
Pat McAfee first reported that the appeal was heard by NHL commissioner Gary Bettman on Tuesday.
In its initial announcement of the punishment, the NHL said the Golden Knights committed “flagrant violations” of playoff media policies.
“The imposition of these penalties comes after previous warnings were issued to the Club regarding their compliance with the Media Regulations and other associated policies,” the league said.
Tortorella, 67, joined the Golden Knights in late March, weeks before the start of the Stanley Cup playoffs, replacing Bruce Cassidy.
The Golden Knights face the Colorado Avalanche in the Western Conference Finals, starting Wednesday night.