Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Miami NIL King John Ruiz’s Business Is Tanking

  • He has committed millions of dollars to Miami’s athletes in name, image, and likeness deals.
  • His company lost $211 million between March and June.
Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

University of Miami booster John Ruiz has been a major funder of the school’s sports in the name, image, and likeness era. Now the source of that money may be drying up. 

Ruiz admitted to investors earlier this week that his company is far short of revenue projections.

LifeWallet, an insurance claims company, projected it would make $963 million in net revenue last year. Instead, its total revenue was $7.7 million. After a period between March and June that made just $300,000 in revenue from the main part of its business, and a net loss of more than $211 million, the company told investors there is “substantial doubt” the company can continue operating, according to the Miami Herald.

The company also said it was subpoenaed last month by the Department of Justice, a move triggered by one of its own press releases, the Herald reported. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is already investigating the company.

Ruiz was on Forbes’ list of billionaires in 2023 with a net worth of $1.5 billion in April of that year. He dropped off the list in 2024.

Within the first year of NIL, Ruiz had already spent $10 million on Miami athletes, according to On3. His funding, specifically his two-year, $800,000 deal with men’s basketball transfer Nijel Pack, was questioned because of NCAA rules around not using NIL for recruiting for pay-for-play. Those rules were blocked earlier this year by a federal judge.

Miami’s women’s basketball team was hit with sanctions in the first NCAA infractions case concerning NIL over an impermissible meeting set up by the head coach between Ruiz and the Cavinder twins, Haley and Hanna, as well as a free dinner. Ruiz has committed to funding a new football stadium for Miami, even releasing stadium renderings, but plans have not been finalized. The Herald had previously reported that Ruiz and LifeWallet were under federal civil and criminal investigations by the SEC and U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Aug 7, 2026; Bedminster, New Jersey, USA; Sergio García tees off on the 16th hole during the second round of the LIV Golf New York tournament at Trump National Bedminster. Mandatory Credit:
First at FOS

Production Company Sues LIV for $1.2M In Missed Payments

Fresh Tape managed logistics and on-site production for a LIV event in Florida.
Deion Sanders takes in the second day of Cleveland Browns training camp, July 30, 2026, in Berea, Ohio.

Colorado’s ‘Prime Effect’ Is Wearing Off for TV Networks

Fewer national TV broadcasts loom for Colorado following a 3–9 season.

Buss Family Drama Brewing After Reported Lakers Sale

Jeanie Buss is contradicting a report that her family will sell.

WNBA: Fans Were Erroneously Told to Cover XX-XY Athletics T-Shirts

It marks the latest flash point in fan-involved incidents for the WNBA.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/18/26 – Clippers’ Ballmer Reportedly Cleared, Walter Eyes Chelsea Exit, Jayden Daniels Trolled

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.