Thursday, August 20, 2026

With New Lawsuit, 5th Year Eligibility Battle Reaches NCAA D-II, D-III

If Pearce’s case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could suddenly receive another year of eligibility.

Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
USA TODAY Network via Reuters Connect

A new eligibility lawsuit against the NCAA could give thousands more players a fifth year of eligibility—this time from Divisions II and III.

This week, Division III men’s basketball player Benjamin Pearce filed a federal proposed class action lawsuit arguing that Division II and Division III athletes from the freshmen class of 2022, who had previously completed four years of eligibility, should be granted a fifth year. 

The case, filed in the Southern District of California, asks for an injunction that not only prevents the NCAA from implementing its restrictions on the class of 2022 in D-II and D-III, but also prevents it from enforcing roster limits and revenue-sharing caps from the House v. NCAA settlement as a way to keep these players from landing roster spots. 

If Pearce is successful, the ruling could apply to all lower-division athletes from this group across the country.

“Plaintiff Pearce, like the rest of the Class, is now in limbo,” the complaint reads. “He properly entered the Transfer Portal; he garnered interest from Division I schools; he was extended invitations of interest to play a fifth year at Division I schools; and the NCAA, without reason or justification, pulled the rug out from under him (and others).”

For the past two months, the NCAA has faced a wave of lawsuits challenging the implementation of its new “age-based” eligibility policy for all athletes in Division I. The new rule, passed in June, said that players could have five years to complete five seasons of competition (up from four) beginning on their 19th birthday or when they started college, whichever came first. But the NCAA declined to grandfather the freshman class of 2022 into that rule. So players who entered college in 2022 and completed four seasons in four years would be eligible for a fifth season.

While the initial wave of lawsuits were filed in state court, a group of players led by Northern Colorado basketball player Brock Wisne filed a federal proposed class action that asked for an injunction applying to all Division I athletes. On July 31, Colorado district court judge Charlotte Sweeney granted that injunction, making thousands of players eligible at once. (The NCAA is currently appealing the federal ruling.)

The Pearce case is in a similar spirit. The NCAA implemented the same age-based policy (and class of 2022 restriction) for D-II on Aug. 5, and has a D-III proposal pending.

The 27-page complaint explains that Pearce enrolled at Emory University in 2022, and played four years of NCAA men’s college basketball at the Division III level. He notched several accolades during his tenure, including being named the D3hoops.com Player of the Year this past season. 

Pearce is seeking a fifth year in part because he has received interest from multiple D-I programs, the complaint says, which could open doors not just for potential future professional competition, but also NIL (name, image, and likeness) and revenue-sharing opportunities. He was one of the few athletes who entered the transfer portal during the 2026 window.

“Multiple Division I schools expressed interest in Plaintiff Pearce’s transferring so he can play basketball for them in what should be his fifth year of collegiate eligibility were he to transfer to a Division I school. … Were Plaintiff to transfer to a Division I school, he would be eligible for additional scholarships, greater NIL earning potential, and an enhanced post-collegiate salary,” the lawsuit says.

If he’s successful, Pearce’s case deals another significant blow to the NCAA’s already beleaguered eligibility policy.

One of the plaintiff attorneys in the case declined to comment. The NCAA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

First at FOS

NFL Isn’t Happy With Nielsen’s Latest Changes

The league is amplifying efforts to work with other audience-measurement firms.

Buss Family Drama Won’t Stop Lakers Sale to Iger and Kushner

Sources say the deal is unaffected by the Buss family dispute.

LIV Golf CEO: ‘I Hope We Can’ Pay Unpaid Vendors

Lawsuits over missed payments are piling up.
Jan 14, 2026; Dallas, Texas, USA; A view of the Denver Nuggets logo on the shorts of guard Tim Hardaway Jr. (10) during the game against the Dallas Mavericks at the American Airlines Center. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-Imagn Images
Exclusive

Noah Reed, Katy Winge Form New Nuggets Broadcast Team

Jason Richardson and Lauren Gardner will also join Nuggets broadcasts.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
First at FOS
August 17, 2026

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.