• Loading stock data...
Thursday, April 3, 2025
Nominations Are Open for Front Office Sports Honors! Submit Now

Deshaun Watson Says He’s ‘Surprised’ by Latest Sexual Assault Allegations

  • The woman’s lawyer says that ‘Watson was well aware of this victim.’
  • Details of Watson’s contract became public after the lawsuit was filed.
Akron Beacon Journal

Deshaun Watson told reporters he was “surprised” by the latest lawsuit that accused the Browns quarterback of sexual assault minutes after his lawyer rejected the claims Wednesday. 

“Deshaun strongly denies the allegations in the Jane Doe lawsuit filed Monday,” attorney Rusty Hardin said in a statement to Front Office Sports and other outlets. “We have asked him not to comment further while this matter works its way through the courts, but are comfortable he will ultimately be vindicated.”

A woman, referenced only as Jane Doe, alleged in the lawsuit filed in Harris County, Tex., that Watson sexually assaulted her inside her apartment in 2020. The NFL—which suspended Watson for 11 games and fined him $5 million for violating the league’s personal conduct policy—has initiated an investigation into the latest claims, but did not place Watson on the commissioner’s exempt list. 

Watson said he had no knowledge of the latest lawsuit until it was reported in the media Monday. That claim led Houston-based attorney Tony Buzbee—who represented nearly all the women since the first lawsuit was filed against Watson was filed in March 2021—to issue his own statement Wednesday. 

“We reached out to attorney Rusty Hardin’s office for ten months in an attempt to resolve this case,” Buzbee said on his Instagram account. “Mr. Watson was well aware of this victim and her claims immediately after it occurred and Watson was again reminded back when we filed the first lawsuit for the other multiple victims.”

While Watson settled with 23 women, the Monday lawsuit brings the count of active civil cases against him to three, according to court records. Separately, the Texans settled with 30 accusers in June 2022. 

In March of that year, the Browns had dealt three first-round picks to Houston for Watson, who then signed a “fully guaranteed” five-year, $230 million deal after the trade.

But Sports Illustrated reported Tuesday that there are some caveats to that guaranteed money. In the contract, which SI reported was labeled “March 2023”—Watson restructured his contract last year—Watson could be considered to be “in default of this Contract” if he again is suspended under the league’s personal conduct policy or if it is “reasonably believed by Club [that Watson has] engaged in personal conduct that materially and adversely affects or reflects on Club or has his contract terminated for engaging in personal conduct that reasonably judged by Club to materially and adversely affect or reflect on Club.” 

Buzbee said in his statement his office has “heard from the NFL” and “will respond in due course.”

“We will be ready to defend this case in court at the appropriate time, but don’t intend to conduct our defense in the media,” Hardin’s statement continued. “We would ask that people be patient while the legal process runs its course.”

Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Flau'Jae Johnson

Flau’jae Johnson Picks LSU Over WNBA Draft

The LSU star and rapper will stay another year in school.
Dawn Staley

Women’s March Madness Has a Portal Problem. Can GMs Solve It?

Final Four coaches are calling agents and players between practices.
hard-knocks-2020

NFL Expands ‘Hard Knocks’ Pool of Teams: Who’s Eligible for 2025?

The NFL is relaxing rules surrounding its reality TV show.

Featured Today

Dec 27, 2024; San Jose, California, USA; San Jose Sharks center Macklin Celebrini (71) skates during warm ups before their game against the Vegas Golden Knights at SAP Center at San Jose

Macklin Celebrini and the Sharks Rookies Have Brought Good Vibes to a..

The rookie’s arrival has boosted spirits incongruously high inside the flagging franchise.
Mar 26, 2025; Indianapolis, Indiana, USA; Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James (23) in the first half Indiana Pacers at Gainbridge Fieldhouse.
April 1, 2025

The Creator Behind the LeBron ‘Glazing’ Trend Sweeping TikTok

FOS spoke to TikTok user OkaySpade who made the original song.
Mar 22, 2025; Providence, RI, USA; McNeese State Cowboys manager Amir Khan before a second round men’s NCAA Tournament game against the Purdue Boilermakers at Amica Mutual Pavilion
April 1, 2025

Inside the 24-Hour NIL March Madness Deals

Some of the most viral partnerships come together overnight.
Seattle Kraken
April 1, 2025

Samantha Holloway Is Seattle’s NHL Present—and Hopeful NBA Future

Samantha Holloway is steering the Kraken and hoping to revive pro hoops.

This Year’s Masters Features Smallest LIV Golf Contingent Yet

There are 12 LIV players set to compete in Augusta.
March 31, 2025

WNBA Draft: Tourney Stars Face Tough Choices Amid CBA Uncertainty

Flau’Jae Johnson is still undecided.
Mar 30, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Detroit Pistons center Isaiah Stewart (28) reacts after a fight against the Minnesota Timberwolves during the second quarter at Target Center. Stewart was later ejected from the game.
April 1, 2025

NBA Lightly Suspends Five Players for Timberwolves-Pistons Brawl

The brawl came in a game where 12 technical fouls were issued.
Sponsored

How UBS Crafts Impactful Partnerships Across Sports, Arts, and Culture

As UBS continues to expand its impressive array of sports and entertainment partnerships, the company solidifies its position as a leader in wealth management.
Sponsored

Win. Advance. Repeat: The Professional Fighters League’s Rise to Prominence 

As of 2025, PFL has introduced a World Tournament format, where every fighter must battle through a high-stakes bracket to reach a championship.
Kendall Coyne Schofield
March 25, 2025

Kendall Coyne Schofield Wants More for the Next Wave of Mom-Athletes

The Walter Cup–winning Frost captain says small changes mean “everything.”
March 21, 2025

Tennis Turmoil: Grand Slams Reject Tours’ Proposal Amid Pay Dispute

The Grand Slams wish to create a “premium tour.”
March 21, 2025

Blue Jays CEO Says Guerrero Not Ohtani, but Confident He’ll Sign

Blue Jays CEO Mark Shapiro is optimistic about keeping the superstar.