Saturday, August 22, 2026

Deshaun Watson Accused of Sexual Assault in New Lawsuit

  • The Browns quarterback was previously suspended 11 games and fined $5 million in 2022 after settling sexual assault allegations.
  • The woman in the new case says Watson sexually assaulted her in October 2020.
Akron Beacon Journal

By the end of 2022, dozens of women had settled lawsuits accusing now Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson of sexual assault and sexual harassment. Watson and his former franchise, the Texans, paid at least 30 women to settle the suits. Though Watson narrowly avoided criminal charges in two cases, the NFL found he had committed sexual assault as defined by the league’s conduct policy.

Satisfied the allegations against Watson were largely settled—although a handful of cases were still working their way through criminal and civil courts at the time—the Browns traded three first-round picks to Houston, then signed Watson to a $230 million fully guaranteed contract.

Now, Watson is facing a new allegation. In a lawsuit filed Monday, a Houston woman says Watson sexually assaulted her in her apartment in 2020. 

In the lawsuit, the woman says an angry Watson “penetrated her vagina without consent, implicit or explicit” for “several minutes.”

The woman—who is identified only as a Houston resident and Jane Doe in the suit—says she tried to settle her claims against Watson privately before suing.

Nearly all of the suits Watson settled in 2022 were from private massage therapists who alleged in some form that after their appointments with Watson began, he exposed himself and began sexually harassing and sexually abusing them. The New York Times reported Watson booked appointments with 66 different private massage therapists in the Houston area from 2019 to 2021.

This woman describes similar conduct by Watson, but at her apartment on a date. “Within minutes of arriving at Jane Doe’s home, without any warning or encouragement or even knowledge he was going to do so, Watson abruptly got naked, lay on Jane Doe’s bed, and demanded that Jane Doe give him a massage,” the lawsuit reads. “Jane Doe complied due to fear.” The suit is seeking compensatory damages greater than $1 million.

The existence of the lawsuit was first reported by ProFootballTalk

The woman in the case is represented by Texas lawyer Tony Buzbee, who represented dozens of the other women who brought and settled cases against Watson.

“This is an extremely serious matter,” Buzbee tells Front Office Sports. “We intend to pursue this case with the same aggressiveness with which we pursued the others. We want a jury trial. As far as any specific comments on the facts of the case, we believe the lawsuit speaks for itself.”

The NFL did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Watson’s contract is largely seen as one of the least team-friendly in pro sports, as he has struggled to find his pre-suspension form with the Browns. He went 24-for-45 with two interceptions in a blowout loss to the Cowboys on Sunday. 

The Browns have repeatedly restructured Watson’s contract to create cap space, and his dead cap hit if released would be just over $200 million. The highest cap hit a team has ever absorbed for releasing a player is $85 million by the Broncos when they cut Russell Wilson.

Though another case involving a massage therapist is still winding its way through the courts, and Watson was suspended after agreeing to the Browns deal, his contract could contain language voiding guarantees if he is punished by the league or law again.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Oct 19, 2024; Tucson, Arizona, USA; Colorado Buffalos head coach Deion Sanders against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

Deion Sanders Facing Fraud Lawsuit Over ‘Prime’ Logo

A graphic designer is suing Sanders and multiple companies alleging false promises.
Mar 28, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Timberwolves minority owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez celebrate the team's win over the Phoenix Suns at Target Center

Why Flood of NBA Team Sales Isn’t Slowing

Often it’s less about love of team, more about love of returns.
Jan 18, 2024; Boulder, Colorado, USA; General view of a Fox Sports broadcast microphone before the game between the Oregon Ducks against the Colorado Buffaloes at the CU Events Center. Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Exclusive

Steven Ruiz Leaving The Ringer for Fox Sports

Ruiz had been with The Ringer since 2021.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
Sep 7, 2025; Flushing, NY, USA; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts against Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) (not pictured) during the final of mens singles at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Jannik Sinner Announces He Will Miss the US Open

Carlos Alcaraz announced Thursday that he will return at the US Open.
August 19, 2026

Ogwumike to Play in Project B Despite WNBA Retirement

She will still play for Project B, the new global basketball league.
August 20, 2026

Carlos Alcaraz to Return at US Open After Four-Month Absence

It’s not yet clear if Jannik Sinner will join him.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 18, 2026

LeBron Quickly Ascending Golf Content-Creator Ranks

The NBA star started playing golf only last year.
August 17, 2026

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Controversy

Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.
Exclusive
August 17, 2026

Vote Coming to Ease Tennis Stars’ Schedules

The vote will likely take place during the US Open.
August 16, 2026

Scheffler Passes McIlroy, Pulls Behind Woods in Total Earnings

He can break Woods’s record at the BMW Championship in St. Louis.