Tuesday, August 18, 2026

The House Settlement Is in Jeopardy. Here’s What It Will Take to Save It

Over the next two weeks, the NCAA and former Power 5 conferences have a decision to make: Relinquish control or risk losing billions at trial.

Mar 26, 2025; San Francisco, CA, USA; Detail view of the logo and basketballs during NCAA Tournament West Regional Practice at Chase Center
Eakin Howard-Imagn Images

In a five-page order issued Wednesday, Northern District of California Judge Claudia Wilken dropped a bombshell: She wouldn’t approve the potentially landmark House v. NCAA settlement—which would allow schools to pay players for the first time—unless parties fixed an issue with roster limits.

Wilken set a two-week deadline, promising to reject the settlement if the parties didn’t make the changes she requested on this specific issue. In statements Wednesday night, plaintiff attorneys said they would work on the issue with defendants’ attorneys, who said their priority was still to approve the settlement.

The NCAA, along with the former Power 5 conferences, now have a decision to make: Relinquish control or risk losing billions of dollars at trial, as well as any goodwill they may have built in Congress by agreeing to change their business model with the House settlement.

Roster limits have become a main concern over the past few months, with hundreds of athletes filing objections—and several speaking at the fairness hearing on April 7. The crux of the settlement, which involves three federal cases, would offer $2.8 billion in damages to athletes who couldn’t profit off name, image, and likeness (NIL) before 2021, as well as allow D-I schools to share up to $20.5 million with all their players this year. But the settlement imposed other restrictions, one of which was a clearinghouse to scrutinize NIL collective deals, ensuring that they’re “fair-market value.” Another was roster limits: The NCAA agreed to lift any limits on the number of scholarships given to college athletes, allowing schools to offer full rides to as many players as they could afford to, so long as their teams abided by new caps on rosters. This particular provision creates its own problem because many current players have been cut in order to satisfy these new restrictions, and incoming athletes have had their roster spots rescinded.

During that hearing, Wilken appeared to endorse a solution: “grandfather” in all the current athletes on teams, as well as all future athletes who have already received roster spot offers, so that cuts would impact them. That way, roster limits could be phased in so no athletes lost an opportunity they’d already received. 

Ultimately, the parties declined to make changes, saying roster limits were reasonable restrictions in the sports world, and that the grandfathering idea would be too disruptive to teams that had already cut players in anticipation of the settlement. Wilken, however, didn’t buy it, saying that she couldn’t approve a settlement that harmed some of the members of the plaintiff class. 

Over the next 14 days, attorneys for all parties will confer, among themselves and with the designated settlement mediator, to see if they can salvage the agreement. 

The NCAA had previously indicated in court documents that it was against making exceptions to roster limits. The plaintiff attorneys haven’t made a strong public statement either way—attorney Jeff Kessler previously told Front Office Sports that the settlement doesn’t require roster limits, it only allows them. Then, on Wednesday,Plaintiff attorney Steve Berman released a statement implying the holdup was with the NCAA alone: “We will work hard to convince the NCAA and the conferences to address the court’s concerns.”

But the attorneys for the NCAA, conference, and players now aren’t the only ones involved. Wilken has “requested” that lawyers representing objectors—Steve Molo, Laura Reathaford, and the Buchalter firm—be consulted on potential solutions. ““We are very happy with today’s order from Judge Wilken regarding the phasing-in of roster limits,” Reathaford said in a statement to FOS. “The judge followed the law. We look forward to working with the parties on an amicable resolution to this problem.”

There’s still a chance the settlement could be approved within the next month, if the parties submit a new draft on time. After all, Wilken confirmed that none of the other objections— about gender equity, antitrust issues with the salary cap and NIL clearinghouse, and the rights of future athletes—would move her to reject the settlement. Wilken said if the settlement agreement “does not adversely affect class members,” she wouldn’t require another monthslong round of class member notices. If the parties can’t fix the roster limits problem, however, the case could go to trial. 

In a statement Wednesday, the NCAA and power conferences said they were reviewing the order, and reiterated that their goal was still to ultimately get the settlement approved—implying they would consider a way to address the roster situation. Berman, similarly, said the plaintiffs were ready to fix the problem. 

But he added: “If we are unable to do so, then we are off to trial and we will return to fighting the NCAA in court with next steps.”

Meanwhile, college sports in general faces changes no matter what. If the settlement is ultimately approved with new changes, teams may have to reinstate roster spots for athletes they’ve already cut or whose incoming spots they’ve revoked. 

If it isn’t approved, the NCAA could still authorize revenue-sharing—and though it’s unlikely they’d want to do this without a settlement agreement, they might have to. Certain states have already passed laws requiring the NCAA to allow for revenue-sharing. NIL collectives nationwide have begun issuing NIL contracts based on the settlement terms; and athletic departments have begun hiring employees and fundraising for the revenue-sharing era, sources have confirmed to FOS. The fate of these resources and contracts without a settlement is unclear.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Buss Family Drama Brewing After Reported Lakers Sale

Jeanie Buss is contradicting a report that her family will sell.

LIV Golf Finally Cancels Its $40M Michigan Finale

This week’s tournament in Indianapolis will be LIV’s season finale.
Aug 7, 2026; Bedminster, New Jersey, USA; Dustin Johnson tees off on the 16th hole during the second round of the LIV Golf New York tournament at Trump National Bedminster.

LIV Vendors Say They’re Unpaid As League Seeks to Stay Afloat

LIV’s funding from the Saudi PIF is ending this month.
Feb 11, 2024; Paradise, Nevada, USA; CBS analyst J.J. Watt on the field before Super Bowl LVIII between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

J.J. Watt’s CBS Rise Could Reshape the NFL Analyst Pecking Order

Watt will serve as CBS’s top game analyst in Tony Romo’s absence.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

A Conversation with Jessica Pegula on the US Open, WTA Sex Testing, and More.

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.