Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Law

Judge Deals Blow to Terry Rozier’s NBA Comeback Bid

Rozier wants the ability to continue his career while awaiting trial despite NBA teams having no interest in signing him.

Jan 17, 2025; Miami, Florida, USA; Miami Heat guard Terry Rozier (2) drives to the basket against the Denver Nuggets during the fourth quarter at Kaseya Center. Mandatory Credit: Sam Navarro-Imagn Images
Sam Navarro-Imagn Images

NEW YORK – Terry Rozier is trying to continue his basketball career while awaiting trial in a federal gambling probe.

The veteran combo guard appeared in federal court on Wednesday with attorneys David Markus and Margot Moss as his new representation, seeking to modify the conditions of his release in the criminal case to pursue an NBA contract. The judge ultimately denied the motion to remove Hornets players and coaches from the no-contact list. Rozier’s trial is set to begin on Feb. 8, 2027. 

Markus previously represented Ghislaine Maxwell, Jeffrey Epstein’s longtime accomplice. 

The 6-foot-5 guard was arrested in October and is accused of removing himself from games while with the Hornets in 2023 to manipulate his stats and allow gamblers to profit off his actions. The government recently filed a superseding indictment against Rozier, which adds two more charges to his case, including accepting a bribe to manipulate his performance in games. 

In April, the Heat waived Rozier, who recently lost an arbitration hearing seeking to have his contract paid out after winning the initial ruling. But months later, the arbitrator reversed their decision after deciding that Rozier’s bond terms, which prohibit contact with the Heat and Hornets, prevent him from fulfilling his contract

The ruling caused Rozier to miss out on the roughly $26 million he was owed by the Heat for the final year of a four-year, $96.3 million contract he signed in 2021. The Hornets traded Rozier to the Heat in Feb. 2024. 

Markus, who is also seeking to move the case to the Southern District of Florida, where he is based, asked Judge LaShann DeArcy Hall to table a ruling on the matter while Rozier gauges the market for his services. Hall denied the request because she couldn’t issue the order due to multiple hurdles. 

One issue is international travel, because Rozier would hypothetically play against the Toronto Raptors. Government attorneys pointed out that international travel is rarely granted to someone pre-trial, which gives them “tremendous pause” due to a possible risk of flight.  

“Hard no,” a Western Conference executive told Front Office Sports when asked if they would even broach signing Rozier with their colleagues. Another team executive told FOS his GM would treat the idea “as a joke,” if they presented it to them. 

The 32-year-old could hypothetically play in The Basketball Tournament, which is a summer tournament of former college basketball players playing for their schools, or Ice Cube’s Big 3 league, which is full of retired players. Both leagues are played domestically and would meet Rozier’s current conditions, though the TBT recently removed former Kentucky player Kerr Kriisa from its upcoming tournament after Kriisa was arrested for allegedly being part of a multi-million dollar fraud scheme. 

Markus argued that without granting new terms for Rozier’s bond, the NBA could argue that his client can’t seek employment, while Hall said her lack of one doesn’t mean he can’t. 

Hall mentioned she previously shot down another defendant’s attempt to play in Greece, which was former Raptors forward Jontay Porter two years ago. Porter pled guilty in July 2024 and is currently awaiting sentencing. Porter wound up playing in the upstart USBL this past season

Government attorneys are open to removing the Hornets’ seven members and the five from the Heat from the no-contact list. Those members are now spread out among four NBA teams, which he likely couldn’t play against or practice with because of his bond term. The current limitations on Rozier could limit a team’s interest in him because of the number of games he can’t play in. 

Another issue for Hall in adjusting Rozier’s terms is that he violated the no-contact list by telling someone that they were on it. Hall asked Markus how he could prevent Rozier from discussing the case during a game or practice. Markus suggested having an attorney present at all times Rozier is on the court.

“Unless you’re suiting up, that doesn’t help me,” Hall replied. 

Hall argued the members from both franchises could be witnesses in the case, which was another issue she had with altering the no-contact list. Markus countered that the discovery in the case doesn’t indicate any of the list’s members were part of the alleged scheme.

“I wish we were starting trial on this case because Terry’s innocent,” Markus told reporters after the hearing. “We look forward to showing the world that he had no involvement in this.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Buss Family Drama Brewing After Reported Lakers Sale

Jeanie Buss is contradicting a report that her family will sell.

WNBA: Fans Were Erroneously Told to Cover XX-XY Athletics T-Shirts

It marks the latest flash point in fan-involved incidents for the WNBA.

Caitlyn Jenner Reacts to WNBA Transgender Controversy

Two former NBA players have said they’re declaring for the WNBA draft.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/18/26 – Clippers’ Ballmer Reportedly Cleared, Walter Eyes Chelsea Exit, Jayden Daniels Trolled

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.
August 14, 2026

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 8, 2026

Mavs Owner Dumont Hits Back at Cuban in Arena Fight

Cuban is required to arbitrate the dispute privately, Dumont claims.
August 5, 2026

Feds Say Rozier Friend Threatening Witnesses in NBA Gambling Case

Prosecutors say De’Niro Laster has been intimidating witnesses on social media.
DraftKings
August 4, 2026

DraftKings Dragged Into Prediction-Market Lawsuit Wave

DraftKings Predictions has been sued three times in the last week.
FILE PHOTO: New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks to the media in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S., October 24, 2025.
July 31, 2026

New York Calls Kalshi ‘Illegal Gambling Operation’ in $36B Suit

Kalshi called the lawsuit “political theater.”