Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Law

The $80 Million F1 ‘Crashgate’ Case Heads to Court

A lawsuit against F1 and its governing body alleges they did not properly investigate a crash that swung the 2008 title.

GEPA pictures/ Bildagentur Kraeling via USA TODAY Sports

The 2008 Formula One drivers’ championship is one of Lewis Hamilton’s crowning achievements, his first of a record-tying seven world titles. 

Nearly two decades later, the championship result is the center of a lawsuit filed by Felipe Massa, the 2008 runner-up.

In March 2024, Massa filed a lawsuit against Formula One, Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA)—the sport’s governing body—and former F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone, claiming an incident at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix known as “Crashgate” cost him the drivers’ championship. The former Ferrari driver, who never won an F1 drivers’ championship, lost the 2008 title by one point to Hamilton.

Massa is not requesting an official change in the 2008 F1 championship results, but he is seeking $80 million (about 60 million pounds) in compensation for lost prize money and potential bonuses that would have come had he secured the world title.

He is also seeking a “declaration” from the FIA that it breached its own regulations by not immediately investigating the crash, and that an investigation would have led to “cancelled or adjusted” results for the Singapore Grand Prix and resulted in Massa winning the drivers’ championship.

The initial hearings started Tuesday in the High Court of London and will run until Oct. 31.

What Is ‘Crashgate?’

On Sept. 28, 2008, in Singapore, Renault driver Nelson Piquet Jr. crashed into a wall during the 14th lap of the 61-lap race, resulting in a safety car that helped teammate Fernando Alonso secure his first win of the season. Hamilton finished in third place, while Massa did not score, finishing in 13th. He needed to finish at least seventh to score enough points to beat Hamilton by season’s end.

Ferrari also committed its own error that also factored into Massa failing to score points. During a pit stop, Massa was given the green light despite the fuel hose still being attached to the car, which put him in last place. He was also handed a time penalty for an unsafe release. 

The following year, Piquet Jr., who originally told the FIA that his crash was an error on his part, admitted that he deliberately crashed following team instructions. Renault executives Flavio Briatore and Pat Symonds received bans from F1.

They would eventually return, though, and Briatore now runs the Alpine team.

The 2008 incident is one of the most notorious in F1 history, and it was even used as inspiration for a key scene in the 2025 F1 movie, according to lead actor Brad Pitt

Why Now?

In March 2023, Ecclestone, the former F1 CEO, told F1 Insider that he was informed by Nelson Piquet Sr., three-time world champion and father of Piquet Jr., that Renault told Piquet Jr. to deliberately crash to trigger the safety car and help Alonso win the race. 

Ecclestone said they didn’t take immediate action to “protect the sport and save it from a huge scandal.” He also admitted that if not for the crash, Massa would have been the champion instead of Hamilton.

In an interview with Reuters five months later, Ecclestone, who was 92 at the time, said he didn’t remember making those comments or even having an interview with F1 Insider. The British man has since said his comments were misinterpreted because of a language difference with the German outlet.

Regardless of interpretation, the published comments triggered Massa to pursue legal action against Ecclestone and F1.

“When we heard Bernie’s comment last year, after that we started to put things together, and we started to fight, to analyse things In the professional, legal way because it was not part of the sport,” Massa told RacingNews365

“We’ve been waiting so long now for justice, we have to hope the truth comes out and there will be justice.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Dec 16, 2025; Lubbock, Texas, USA; Northern Colorado Bears forarwd Brock Wisne (14) dribbles the ball against Texas Tech Red Raiders forward JT Toppin (15) in the second half at United Supermarkets Arena

How NCAA-Athlete Eligibility Limbo Has Sown ‘Actual Chaos’

Coaches, GMs, and lawyers are still trying to sift through the upheaval.

Handful of NBA Draft Picks Could Return to College After Ruling

Four players drafted in June could return to college. 
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/18/26 – Clippers’ Ballmer Reportedly Cleared, Walter Eyes Chelsea Exit, Jayden Daniels Trolled

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
August 8, 2026

Mavs Owner Dumont Hits Back at Cuban in Arena Fight

Cuban is required to arbitrate the dispute privately, Dumont claims.
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 5, 2026

Feds Say Rozier Friend Threatening Witnesses in NBA Gambling Case

Prosecutors say De’Niro Laster has been intimidating witnesses on social media.
DraftKings
August 4, 2026

DraftKings Dragged Into Prediction-Market Lawsuit Wave

DraftKings Predictions has been sued three times in the last week.
FILE PHOTO: New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks to the media in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S., October 24, 2025.
July 31, 2026

New York Calls Kalshi ‘Illegal Gambling Operation’ in $36B Suit

Kalshi called the lawsuit “political theater.”
July 28, 2026

Major Figure in NBA Betting Case Pleads Guilty to Poker Fraud

Shane Hennen is implicated in all three federal gambling probes.