Momentum appears to be growing for the LIV Golf Invitational series, as more and more PGA Tour golfers want in on the Saudi-backed tournament.
According to golf commentator Luke Elvy, 80 PGA Tour pros have asked for their release to participate in LIV’s inaugural event June 9-11 at the Centurion Club outside London.
LIV Golf has scheduled eight 54-hole events including seven tournaments, with each featuring 48 golfers on 12 four-man teams. The winner will take home $4 million of the $20 million purse. The final event will be a team championship featuring $50 million in prizes.
The biggest name to confirm his request, beyond Phil Mickelson, is Lee Westwood. The former World No. 1 (and current No. 58) told Sky Sports earlier this week that he is registered for the event, calling it “an opportunity to play in a big tournament.”
Another big name to keep an eye on is Sergio Garcia. The 11-time PGA Tour winner and 2017 Masters champion may have let his plans to play in LIV events slip Thursday in a rant against a rules official during the first round of the Wells Fargo Championship.
After being told he would be penalized for taking too long to locate his ball, Garcia said, “I can’t wait to leave this tour,” adding later, “A couple of more weeks, I don’t have to deal with you anymore.”