Thursday, August 20, 2026

What to Make of the Court Ruling on College Athlete Transfers? Don’t Ask the NCAA

  • The NCAA on Thursday walked back an interpretation of its transfer-eligibility rules after a federal court ruling on Wednesday.
  • The organization has further complicated what was already an extremely confusing situation for athletes and coaches nationwide.
The NCAA has walked back its interpretation of a transfer rule restriction change after a federal court ruling on Wednesday.
Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

The NCAA appears to be walking back one of its key interpretations of Wednesday’s court rulings regarding transfer restrictions. 

On Wednesday, a federal judge ruled in State of Ohio et al v. NCAA that the governing body could not enforce its multi-transfer restriction for 14 days, part of a temporary restraining order. While the NCAA allows athletes to transfer once without penalty, athletes who transfer again have to sit out a year unless they’re granted a waiver by the NCAA. 

On Wednesday, the NCAA indicated to Front Office Sports that athletes would not lose a year of eligibility if the ruling is overturned. Then, on Thursday, the NCAA told FOS it was unsure about whether athletes who play as a result of the ruling would burn a year of eligibility Several hours later, it reportedly sent a memo to Division I members confirming that athletes would, in fact, burn a year of eligibility.

The case itself was filed last week in the Northern District of West Virginia by state seven attorneys general arguing that the NCAA’s transfer restrictions violate federal antitrust laws. It was based largely on the case of West Virginia basketball player RaeQuan Battle.

The court said the transfer restriction couldn’t be enforced until at least Dec. 27, the date of the next hearing — and the NCAA affirmed in a statement Wednesday that it would not enforce its transfer restriction during this period. 

Battle was therefore eligible to play for the Mountaineers as of Wednesday, but that eligibility prompted another question: What if Battle played a game or two between now and Dec. 27 — and then the ruling was reversed? Would he burn an entire year of NCAA eligibility?

On Wednesday, the NCAA indicated in an email to FOS that because of the court’s ruling, the governing body could punish an athlete by taking away a year of eligibility.

“The restitution rule was suspended by the court,” an NCAA spokesperson told FOS. “Therefore, eligibility would not be impacted.” 

(The NCAA’s “restitution rule” stated that it could penalize athletes — i.e. vacate their wins or records — if a court ruled they were eligible to play, then they played, and then the court changed its mind. So if the Mountaineers win two games with Battle this week, they would have to vacate those wins if the court rules differently on Dec. 27.)

But on Thursday, after a conflicting report surfaced, the NCAA told FOS it was unclear as to whether athletes would lose a year of eligibility and was still discussing the ruling’s implications. It did not outright state that athletes would burn a year of eligibility until Thursday afternoon.

The NCAA, which was unable to provide an interpretation of its own rules for a full 24 hours, has now further complicated an already extremely confusing situation for athletes and coaches across the country. 

Some athletes affected by the ruling already played on Wednesday night, and could lose eligibility because of the NCAA’s lack of a firm stance.

As the college basketball season heats up and bowl season kicks off, the consequences of the NCAA’s unclear positions could be dire. 

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated with additional information.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
First at FOS

NFL Isn’t Happy With Nielsen’s Latest Changes

The league is amplifying efforts to work with other audience-measurement firms.

Buss Family Drama Won’t Stop Lakers Sale to Iger and Kushner

Sources say the deal is unaffected by the Buss family dispute.

LIV Golf CEO: ‘I Hope We Can’ Pay Unpaid Vendors

Lawsuits over missed payments are piling up.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
First at FOS
August 17, 2026

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.