Sunday, August 23, 2026

UNC’s Disastrous Season Continues With Report of NCAA Rules Violation

A UNC cornerbacks coach reportedly gave sideline passes to a player’s family, resulting in his suspension.

Sep 1, 2025; Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA; North Carolina Tar Heels head coach Bill Belichick on the field before the game at Kenan Stadium
Bob Donnan/Imagn Images

The North Carolina football program may now add NCAA rules violations to a growing list of blunders during Bill Belichick’s troubled first season in Chapel Hill. 

This week, UNC cornerbacks coach Armond Hawkins was suspended for offering extra benefits to a player, including sideline passes for the player’s family, according to a report from The Athletic. 

The suspension happened after a WRAL report detailed dysfunction and said players were selling the tickets allotted to them. Subsequently, the outlet reported that a UNC compliance officer sent a text to players telling them that selling tickets violates NCAA rules.

It’s the latest in a series of unfortunate events for the Tar Heels since the season began. 

Belichick’s hire was first announced last December. At the time, there was plenty of optimism—and media coverage, including news of a Hulu documentary series—surrounding Belichick’s debut. (Though even then, reports surrounding the presence and control exerted by his 24-year-old girlfriend, Jordon Hudson, raised eyebrows and brought about questions of potential distractions.) 

But the situation in Chapel Hill has not gone as planned. It opened with an embarrassing 48–14 loss to TCU. So far, the Tar Heels have notched two wins and three losses. They’ve had the worst start against Power 4 opponents since the team was founded in 1888 with three losses to TCU, UCF, and Clemson. Together, those losses add up to an 87-point margin, per data from USA Today.

In addition to the drama caused by the WRAL report released Monday, Hulu reportedly canceled its documentary series on the Tar Heels, Inside Carolina, this week. On Wednesday, 247 Sports reported exit-strategy discussions had taken place on campus. 

Both Belichick and UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham released statements Wednesday night, each expressing continued commitment to one another and to the program. “I’m fully committed to UNC Football and the program we’re building here,” Belichick said. And Cunningham noted, “Coach Belichick has the full support of the Department of Athletics and the University.”

Belichick is currently on a five-year, $50 million contract at UNC with a $20.8 million buyout, per USA Today’s database.

Representatives for UNC and the NCAA did not immediately respond to Front Office Sports’s request for comment.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Dan Snyder ‘Invisible’ in NFL Three Years After Commanders Sale

Snyder has had little to no contact with former NFL associates.

US Open ‘Almost Doubling’ Credentials for Content Creators

Nearly 100 creators will be credentialed at this year’s US Open.

‘Natural Next Step’: Brenda Song Takes Rams Fandom to Broadcast Booth

The actress has become an increasingly visible Rams ambassador.

Good Good Golf Pulls Ad, Apologizes Following Backlash

Callaway, Good Good’s equipment partner, said it was “disappointed by the content.”
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.

Appeals Court Pauses Fifth Year of Eligibility Order

An appeals court has yet to make a final decision.
LSU Tigers head football coach Lane Kiffin talking with Quarterback Husan Longstreet 8 at LSU Football practice. August 18, 2026.
August 21, 2026

College Football Landscape Fueled by New Off-Field Drama

Five major storylines are shaping college football’s new business landscape.
Nov 6, 2023; Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA; Alabama guard Kai Spears (32) a walk on guard, takes a three late in the game at Coleman Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports
August 21, 2026

New York Times Loses $9.25M Defamation Verdict to Ex-Alabama Player

The outlet called the inaccurate report “an honest mistake.”
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 20, 2026

Judge: Players Can Go From NFL Training Camp Back to College

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit challenging the NCAA’s new eligibility model.
Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
August 20, 2026

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.
August 19, 2026

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
First at FOS
August 17, 2026

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.