Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Transfer Portal Chaos Began Amid Michigan’s Title Celebration

For the first time in men’s college basketball, the transfer portal opened in the middle of postgame celebrations for a national championship.

Dusty May
Jeremy O’Brien

INDIANAPOLIS — Michigan head coach Dusty May and three players sat down in the interview room for their national championship postgame press conference. They brought with them their trophy, which they had just won about an hour before, and settled in for a few minutes to talk to reporters and soak it all in.

But these days, college sports move fast. At 12:20 a.m. E.T., the victory they were about to discuss was already old news. The men’s basketball transfer portal had opened 20 minutes earlier.

For the first time in men’s college basketball history, the transfer portal opened in the middle of postgame celebrations for a national championship. Given the era of unrestricted free agency, where players can transfer unlimited times without penalty, the portal window is one of the most critical times in college sports for any ambitious program—including the defending national champions, whose entire starting five came from the transfer portal. 

It’s a feature of the new NCAA rule implemented this year, which mandated the transfer portal open at midnight the day after the tournament ends. But in some ways, the timing was a relief compared to previous years, when the portal opened up in the middle of the NCAA tournament. The overlap was also caused by the fact that the title game didn’t tip off until 8:50 p.m. ET. 

For the College Football Playoff, the portal was already closed when Indiana beat Miami. And the clash didn’t happen after the women’s national championship, as tipoff was much earlier in the day, and celebrations (at least in Phoenix) had ended by midnight eastern time.

The pressure of the impending moment built  throughout the tournament, and during the week of the Final Four. At the mere thought of the portal Sunday, UConn coach Dan Hurley appeared to wince. “Let me enjoy this until a couple days from now,” he told reporters. “Because I know that [the portal] is coming. And it’s going to be brutal.”

After the title game on Monday night, the buzz  was present in both locker rooms. 

Amid all the celebrations in Michigan’s locker room, assistant coach Akeem Miskdeen posted a photo of coaches with a laptop open. “Portal open! Go Blue!” the caption read.

After all, given the success that the portal had offered the Wolverines, they weren’t going to miss out on an opportunity. But they weren’t the only ones, as AD Warde Manuel pointed out on Monday night. “You can’t just say, ‘Michigan’s had the most transfers,’” he said in response to a question from Front Office Sports

Over at UConn’s locker room, Dan Hurley had just lost the first national championship of the three he’s coached in. Tired and hoarse early Tuesday morning, he asked a gaggle of reporters what time it was—sometime after midnight. “Portal’s open, fellas. Did anyone go in yet?”

It was the same for media members in Indianapolis, who joked throughout the day Monday that in this era, they wouldn’t get a respite after the confetti stopped falling—because they had to cover the portal. When discussing his travel plans, one reporter remarked that he wouldn’t leave Indy until Tuesday evening: “Portal opens tomorrow.” 

Late into the night and early in the morning, the same college basketball insiders from ESPN, On3, Field of 68, and other outlets—who had just covered the championship game minutes earlier—began to post the latest transfer portal news on X.

Amid the chaos this weekend, there was at least one attempt to curb the portal—from President Trump. On Friday afternoon, amid both the men’s and women’s NCAA tournaments, Trump signed a sweeping executive order aimed at solidifying new rules in college sports. One of the most notable directives: to limit players to one transfer throughout their four-year undergraduate career, an idea that would allow players some freedom of movement but vastly calm the chaos of the unrestricted portal. 

“If the rules change, we’ll adapt and move forward,” Manuel said Monday night.

But the executive order is likely unenforceable, and in any case, it doesn’t take effect until August. So for now, at least, this is just how things are in college sports. 
By Tuesday morning, more than 1,000 players had already entered their names into the portal.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

NHL Playoffs Deliver Record Second-Round Ratings for ESPN, TNT

The Canadiens-Sabres series brought additional audience milestones.

How Philadelphia Built a $140 Million World Cup War Chest

Philly’s private fundraising is unique among World Cup host cities.

Will Wade’s LSU Is Pushing College Basketball to the Absolute Limit

The notorious coach has assembled a team of international pros.
The University of Alabama showed off renovations to Bryant Denny Stadium Thursday, Oct. 1, 2020. Sports Illustrated covers decorate the walls inside the new press box. [Staff Photo/Gary Cosby Jr.]

Sports Illustrated Defends Its Standards After Plagiarism Incident

SI removed its prediction-markets affiliate following accusations of plagiarism.

Featured Today

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.
May 13, 2026

How Sports Graphic Designers Are Grappling With the Rise of AI Art

The release of ChatGPT 2.0 Images sparked a conversation among sports designers.
May 12, 2026

Collectible Cups Are Sending Sports Fans Into a Frenzy

The drink is secondary to the wild vessel it comes in.
Dec 31, 2025; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Utah Utes quarterback Devon Dampier (4) carries the ball against Nebraska Cornhuskers defensive back Donovan Jones (37) in the second half during the SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl at Allegiant Stadium.

Dave Checketts: Utah ‘Sold Off Their Future’ With PE Deal

The Utah–Otro Capital was approved by the university board in December.
Oct 25, 2025; Cincinnati, Ohio, USA; Cincinnati Bearcats quarterback Brendan Sorsby walks off the field after defeating the Baylor Bears at Nippert Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-Imagn Images
May 18, 2026

Texas Tech QB Sorsby Sues NCAA Seeking Eligibility

If deemed ineligible, Sorsby is eyeing the NFL Supplemental Draft.
U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) shakes hands with Shanghai Mayor Gong Zheng during a U.S. congressional delegation's visit in Shanghai, China, May 5, 2026.
May 19, 2026

As SCORE Act Fails Again, a New College Sports Bill May Emerge

On Monday night, House leadership canceled the vote.
Sponsored

Mark Cuban Peels Back the Curtain

Mark Cuban discusses sports ownership, the rise of NIL, and the evolving media landscape.
Sponsored

Volpe Brings Style to the Bronx

With the New York Yankees & Anthony Volpe, Charles Tyrwhitt is bringing its decades-long playbook to one of sports’ biggest stages.
May 15, 2026

3 Hot Topics at ACC Spring Meetings

Jim Phillips talked PE, Duke-Amazon, and CFP expansion.
May 15, 2026

Expanded March Madness Brings ‘Visibility’ to Women’s Game

Still, some coaches worry that mid-majors will be overlooked.
May 14, 2026

Arkansas Reinstates Tennis Teams After Donors Promise Millions

The move comes just 20 days after the programs were initially cut.