Sunday, August 23, 2026
Law

Questions Mount in Brian Davis’ Lawsuit Over Commanders Sale

  • Davis sued Bank of America, seeking the return of $5.1B in funds sent to bank handling sale.
  • Exactly where the funds originated remain in question as judge seeks more information.
Commanders sale awaits to be finalized.
Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

The federal judge seems suspicious of Brian Davis’ lawsuit against Bank of America over the former Duke basketball player’s attempt to purchase the Washington Commanders. 

And Judge Deborah L. Boardman isn’t the only one to cast doubt on Davis’ legal claims that began with Friday’s lawsuit that now seeks $999,000 in damages — a 99% reduction from the $500 billion figure that was originally listed in the federal docket system. 

Boardman wrote an order on Wednesday that Davis’ court filings were unable to “clearly show that immediate and irreparable” harm, and she won’t rule on whether a hearing on an injunction is warranted until Bank of America responds to the lawsuit.

“Urban Echo appears to argue that, unless the bank drafts it delivered to BOA are credited or returned immediately, it will miss the opportunity to have its offer to purchase the Commanders evaluated by the team’s owners,” Boardman wrote. “But Urban Echo acknowledges that the Commanders’ owners already have accepted a bid for the purchase of the team, and that ‘another party has entered into a contract to purchase the Commanders.’”

A group led by Josh Harris finalized a $6.05 billion deal to purchase the Commanders on May 12. The sale is expected to be approved by NFL owners later this summer at a special meeting, officially ending Dan Snyder’s 24-year run as owner. 

“The proverbial ship has sailed for Mr. Davis,” said sports law attorney Daniel Wallach, co-host of the Conduct Detrimental podcast. “Further, the NFL — as a private association — and Snyder (as a private business person) are under no obligation to consider a particular bid or to even accept the highest or the best offer.”

It’s expected that Bank of America will file a motion to dismiss the case in the coming days, and Front Office Sports talked to legal and financial experts that called both the lawsuit and the source of funds at the center of Davis’ legal claims filed in Maryland federal court. 

Bank of America is a Delaware corporation, and the Commanders sale is handled at its North Carolina corporate base. 

“Given the absence of any bona fide connection to Maryland, I would expect Bank of America to file a motion to dismiss Urban Echo’s lawsuit on multiple procedural grounds,” Wallach said. 

Bank of America declined to comment. 

Davis alleged in the lawsuit that his company, Urban Echo, transferred a total of $5.1 billion to Bank of America on March 8. 

But there were immediate questions about how Davis got access to billions of dollars, and the demand guarantee letter for the bank transfers obtained by FOS shed little light on where the funds were coming from. 

FOS called the first phone number listed in the document, and the outgoing message was for the Superior Seafood Company based in Los Angeles. 

Another number listed that also had a 213 area code for “Wells Fargo SGSR Statutory Trust DST” on the forms was answered by somebody who apparently worked for the firm. 

“Why is a sports reporter asking these questions?” that person asked FOS on Tuesday. 

That person, who did not give his name, said he’d call back with details that explain the questions about the document. There has so far been no response from the firm. 

But there are two major issues with the bank drafts: 

  • Urban Echo Energy isn’t licensed to operate in California, meaning Bank of America would have every right to reject the transfers since they were funneled through the state. 
  • While the transfer documents do list Davis, they do not list the purpose for the transfer, which would lead to questions. The Commanders and owner Dan Snyder are not mentioned in the docs. 

Moreover, Davis was never actually an active part of the bidding process, sources told FOS. 

While others like Houston Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta and Canadian businessman Steve Apostolopoulos were involved, when Davis tried to enter, Bank of America had already honed in on Harris. 

To this day, it’s not clear where Davis’ money originated. 

Davis claimed in the lawsuit that he sought to bid $7 billion for the Commanders — nearly a billion more than Harris. 

Davis said in interviews that he had access to up to $100 billion in funding. 

“My money comes from white people who are Jewish, Italian, and Sicilian,” said in an interview on 106.7 The Fan in April. 

Two sources told FOS that funds may have originated from Saudi Arabia, although Davis disputed that in an interview with WUSA-9 in April. 

“The money is not Saudi Arabian, and I’ve never been to Saudi Arabia,” Davis said.

The lawsuit is unlikely to hinder the sale of the Commanders, although Harris could have to sign a letter with Bank of America to promise to cover a judgment or settlement from the lawsuit — even if such an outcome, as of now, appears unlikely. 

On Thursday, Boardman set a Friday call-in status conference in the case.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Controversy

Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.

Why Jeff Bezos Remains on the NFL Ownership Sidelines

FSG announced the Liverpool deal Friday.

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Oct 19, 2024; Tucson, Arizona, USA; Colorado Buffalos head coach Deion Sanders against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

Deion Sanders Facing Fraud Lawsuit Over ‘Prime’ Logo

A graphic designer is suing Sanders and multiple companies alleging false promises.
The Delaware Life logo is seen on a web browser in this illustration taken on August 17, 2026.
August 20, 2026

Mark Walter Has Been Here Before. What Happens Next?

“There’s fraud here,” one expert tells FOS.
Nov 6, 2023; Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA; Alabama guard Kai Spears (32) a walk on guard, takes a three late in the game at Coleman Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports
August 21, 2026

New York Times Loses $9.25M Defamation Verdict to Ex-Alabama Player

The outlet called the inaccurate report “an honest mistake.”
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
Golf - LIV Golf - United Kingdom - JCB Golf and Country Club, Uttoxeter, Britain - July 24, 2026 Crushers GC's Bryson DeChambeau in action as he hits a tee shot on the first hole during the second round
First at FOS
August 18, 2026

Production Company Sues LIV for $1.2M in Missed Payments

Fresh Tape managed logistics and on-site production for a LIV event in Florida.
August 14, 2026

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
August 14, 2026

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.