Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Judge Threatens to Reject $2.8 Billion House v. NCAA Settlement

She said that the sides had 14 days to fix the deal or she would reject the settlement that would clear the way for colleges to pay athletes.

NC State women's cross country
Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

On Wednesday, Northern District of California Judge Claudia Wilken threatened to reject the landmark House v. NCAA settlement after months of deliberation and a lengthy objection process over the issue of roster limits. She said that the parties have 14 days to figure out how to ensure athletes don’t lose roster spots as a result of the settlement—or else.

The settlement would allow each Division I school to pay players an aggregate of up to $20.5 million this year for the first time in NCAA history. But it imposed other restrictions that Wilken ultimately saw as too cumbersome.

“Objectors have shown that the immediate implementation of the roster limits provisions of the settlement agreement has resulted or will result in harm to a significant number of members of the Injunctive Relief Settlement Class,” she wrote, referencing how players would lose their opportunity to play for D-I teams if roster limits were imposed.

The settlement proposal consolidated three federal antitrust cases—House v. NCAA, Carter v. NCAA, and Hubbard v. NCAA. House v. NCAA was filed in 2020 against the NCAA and former Power 5 conferences, arguing that players deserved damages for being prohibited from earning NIL (name, image, and likeness) payments before the NCAA changed its rules in 2021. It also argued that the definition of NIL should be expanded to include things like broadcast television rights fees. 

The settlement would offer $2.8 billion in damages, as well as allow all D-I schools to offer up to $20.5 million to all the current players in its athletic department (a number that increases incrementally over a period of 10 years, during the lifetime of the settlement).

While it lists all limits on scholarships, it imposes new roster limits in many sports—a controversial aspect of the settlement to which dozens of players objected. The parties declined to amend the settlement to grandfather in current athletes or prospective athletes who have already received offers to join teams. 

During a final approval hearing, several current athletes testified to the issue, appealing to Wilken to force the parties to ameliorate the roster issue. Wilken said she was in favor of grandfathering, and after the parties rejected it, dozens of other athletes and parents filed more objections, saying their schools were already cutting them from their teams. 

And yet, the NCAA and power conferences declined to do so, citing the impracticality of having teams without roster limits. They also noted that players’ roster spots had already been rescinded.

That excuse did not move Wilken. “Any disruption that may occur is a problem of Defendants’ and NCAA member schools’ own making,” Wilken wrote. As to schools implementing the terms of the settlement before it was fully approved, she wrote: “The fact that the court granted preliminary approval of the settlement agreement should not have been interpreted as an indication that it was certain that the court would grant final approval.”

But the testimony and persistence of athletes and their parents nationwide who have protested roster limits appears to have worked. In her order, Wilken explained exactly what she would need to see for the House settlement to be approved: “To modify the settlement agreement to ensure that no members of the Injunctive Relief Settlement Class who have or had a roster spot will lose it as a result of the immediate implementation of the settlement agreement.” 

“Limits could be accomplished gradually by attrition,” she added, suggesting that roster limits could be phased in over the next few years so now athletes who have already received offers have them rescinded.

Now, the parties will have 14 days to try to salvage the settlement, which certainly seems possible, given that Wilken wrote she approved of all other aspects of the proposal. In a statement, plaintiff attorney Steve Berman implied that the hangup on roster limits was on the NCAA and power conference side. “We will work hard to convince the NCAA and the conferences to address the court’s concerns,” he said, adding, “If we are unable to do so, then we are off to trial and we will return to fighting the NCAA in court with next steps.”

In a joint statement, the NCAA and power conferences said they were “closely reviewing” the order, and that they still hope to secure approval of the settlement.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Deion Sanders takes in the second day of Cleveland Browns training camp, July 30, 2026, in Berea, Ohio.

Colorado’s ‘Prime Effect’ Is Wearing Off for TV Networks

Fewer national TV broadcasts loom for Colorado following a 3–9 season.
Exclusive

Vote Coming to Ease Tennis Stars’ Schedules

The vote will likely take place during the US Open.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/18/26 – Clippers’ Ballmer Reportedly Cleared, Walter Eyes Chelsea Exit, Jayden Daniels Trolled

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Exclusive

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.
U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) talks to reporters at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 6, 2026.
August 7, 2026

College Sports Bill Faces Steep Hurdles Before August Recess

The Congressional Black Caucus said it would not support the bill.