Thursday, May 21, 2026

F1’s New Era Hits Reset in Miami: How Will Teams Adjust to Rules?

Formula One is coming off a five-week break after two races were canceled in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Peter Casey-Imagn Images

The defining storyline of the 2026 Formula One season has been its controversial new regulations. An impromptu early-season break has brought adjustments, and their impact, if any, will be seen at this weekend’s Miami Grand Prix.

F1 introduced significant changes to the build of each car this year, most notably new hybrid engines that feature a 50-50 split of power usage between electrical and internal combustion. The changes have made the cars a few seconds slower per lap this year. (A full second in F1 time is significant, considering gaps between cars during qualifying are separated by tenths or hundredths of a second.)

But the new regulations have also brought up new safety repercussions due to unexpectedly high closing speeds. 

This was highlighted at the Japanese Grand Prix, the most recent race, when Haas driver Oliver Bearman had a high-speed crash. Bearman was driving about 190 mph when he had to dodge Alpine driver Franco Colapinto. He veered off track and crashed into the barricade, though he avoided significant injuries.

Many drivers have voiced complaints about their cars, most prominently four-time world champion Max Verstappen, who has compared it to Formula E and Mario Kart. Lando Norris, the 2026 drivers’ champion, said last month it’s “probably the worst” car in the history of F1 to drive. Norris (P5) and Verstappen (P9) are several spots down in the standings compared to last year.

F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali defended the rule changes, saying there have been more overtakes, which have made the viewing experience better for fans. 

“The fans want to have excitement on the race, want to have a lot of overtaking, want to have action on the track,” Domenicali told Yahoo Finance.

Shifting Gears

F1 teams had a sudden opportunity to make adjustments due to an extended break after the Bahrain and Saudi Arabian GPs, both scheduled in April, were canceled due to the ongoing U.S. and Israel-Iran war. The result was an unexpected five-week break between the Japanese GP (March 26–29), the third race of the season, and the Miami GP (May 1–3).

Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur described the Miami Grand Prix as the start of a “new championship.”

“Everyone will bring new upgrades to Miami,” Vasseur told Sky Sports Italy in March.

McLaren team principal Andrea Stella said last week they had always intended to bring a “completely new car” to the two-race North American leg. He said the break helped streamline the upgrades, but he knows the rest of the grid also benefited.

“I would like to stress that this is what I would expect of most of our competitors so not necessarily it’s going to be a shift in the [pecking] order, it will be effectively just a check who has been able to add more performance within the same time frame and we also have some performance to recover if we look at Mercedes and to some extent Ferrari as well,” Stella told Sky Sports

F1 also announced several rule changes last week aimed at increasing qualifying lap times, but also reducing large speed differentials during races that led to Bearman’s crash. The modifications are not expected to bring the cars close to their form in previous years.

Toto Wolff, team principal of the championship-leading Mercedes, described the tweaks as “acting with a scalpel and not with a baseball bat.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Racin' With The Boys
exclusive

‘Bussin’ With the Boys’ Launching New NASCAR Show

Peyton Manning’s Omaha Productions will produce the show.

Max Verstappen’s Future Looms Over F1’s Return to Miami

F1 returns after a monthlong hiatus due to two canceled races.

Verstappen’s F1 Future in Doubt, Says Slow Start Isn’t the Reason

Verstappen is 28, but is already in his 12th year in F1.

Featured Today

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.
May 13, 2026

How Sports Graphic Designers Are Grappling With the Rise of AI Art

The release of ChatGPT 2.0 Images sparked a conversation among sports designers.
May 12, 2026

Collectible Cups Are Sending Sports Fans Into a Frenzy

The drink is secondary to the wild vessel it comes in.

Caitlin Clark’s Late Scratch Sparks WNBA Injury Report Questions

The Fever said she woke up with back soreness ahead of Wednesday’s game.
Valkyries President Jess Smith
May 19, 2026

Valkyries President: Team’s Projected $1B Valuation Is ‘Accurate’

The Valkyries were projected to be the first 10-figure WNBA team.
May 20, 2026

Jannik Sinner Headlines French Open Clouded By Player Unrest

Players will walk out of opening press conferences after 15 minutes.
Sponsored

Mark Cuban Peels Back the Curtain

Mark Cuban discusses sports ownership, the rise of NIL, and the evolving media landscape.
May 19, 2026

NFL Moves Closer to 10 International Games—and Could Hit 11

The league builds out further its international scheduling plans.
May 19, 2026

NFL Sets Another Super Bowl Without Dates As Schedule Questions Loom

The home markets of the Titans and Vikings each landed a big event.
Mar 30, 2026; Las Vegas, Nevada, USA; Vegas Golden Knights head coach John Tortorella holds a presser after the Golden Knights defeated the Vancouver Canucks 4-2 at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-Imagn Images
May 19, 2026

NHL Denies Appeal for John Tortorella, Golden Knights

Tortorella was fined $100,000 and the team was docked a draft pick.
May 19, 2026

Cuban: NBA Is Walking Into ‘Hornet’s Nest’ in Europe

The ex-Mavs majority owner is worried about the passion of European fans.