Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Duke Sues Darian Mensah After QB Enters Portal

Duke alleges multiple violations of the quarterback’s contract with the university.

Dec 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; Duke Blue Devils quarterback Darian Mensah (10) celebrates after the Blue Devils score a touchdown in overtime during the ACC Championship game at Bank of America Stadium.
Bob Donnan-Imagn Images

Duke sued quarterback Darian Mensah on Monday to try to enforce its contract against the outgoing star.

On Jan. 16, the last day for athletes to enter the transfer portal, Mensah announced his intention to leave Duke. The lawsuit states that Mensah would sign away rights he has already guaranteed to Duke—including his NIL “with respect to higher education and football”—if he enters into a contract with another school.

In its 44-page suit filed in Durham County Superior Court, Duke argues that Mensah’s transfer decision violates the contract he signed with the school through Dec. 31, 2026. The suit says that Mensah’s contract dictates all disputes must go through arbitration, a process the school has already initiated, and that if the quarterback leaves, Duke’s ability to seek relief through arbitration will be significantly limited. The filing also says Mensah, his family, or his representatives breached the contract by discussing his Duke deal or transferring with another school.

“Mensah’s actions violate numerous provisions of his contract with Duke University and disregard his promises and obligations to the University,” the suit says. “And, as Mensah agreed when he signed his contract, such breaches cause Duke irreparable harm for which there is no adequate remedy at law and, in the event of any such breach, Duke is entitled to injunctive or other equitable relief.”

Mensah had previously announced in December he would stay at Duke. The quarterback who started his career at Tulane led the Blue Devils to a 9–5 record and the ACC title this season.

Then, on Wednesday, North Carolina judge Michael O’Foghludha granted the majority of the temporary restraining order requested by Duke, which puts Mensah in limbo.

For the duration of the temporary restraining order, which will run at least until the preliminary injunction hearing on Feb. 2, Mensah cannot enroll or play football at another institution or license his NIL rights at another school. However, Mensah is allowed to enter the transfer portal.

“Mr. Mensah has an existing contract with Duke which the university intends to honor, and we expect he will do the same,” a Duke spokesperson said in a statement shared with FOS. “The court-ordered temporary restraining order (TRO) issued yesterday ensures he does not violate his contract. The university is committed to supporting all our student-athletes, while expecting each of them to abide by their contractual obligations.

Another wrinkle: The court has assigned a new judge to the case, as O’Foghludha recused himself due to ties with the university.

Mensah has been linked to Miami, which fell Monday night at home to Indiana in the national championship game. Darren Heitner, who teaches at Miami School of Law and serves as outside counsel for the Miami NIL collective Canes Connection, tells FOS he can’t comment on those rumors.

Duke and Mensah are not the only messy case study of schools trying to enforce their contracts with athletes who wish to transfer in the new era of college football. Washington considered suing Demond Williams during a dramatic 48 hours earlier this month before the quarterback announced he would stay in Seattle.

Last summer, Wisconsin sued Miami for “tampering” when Xavier Lucas (who is also represented by Heitner) transferred after signing “binding” contracts with the school and its name, image, likeness collective. That case is still ongoing.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Ogwumike to Play in Project B Despite WNBA Retirement

She will still play for Project B, the new global basketball league.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
Feb 4, 2026; San Francisco, CA, USA; NFL Network host Colleen Wolfe on radio row at the Super Bowl LX media center at the Moscone Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images
Exclusive

NFL Media Re-Arms As Andrew Siciliano, Colleen Wolfe Return

Michael Yam, Trevor Sikkema, and Brett Kollmann are also joining NFL Media.
Feb 6, 2026; San Francisco, CA, USA; Pat McAfee on the Pat McAfee Show set at the Super Bowl LX media center at the Moscone Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Pat McAfee’s ESPN Ascent Continues With ‘Monday Night Countdown’

Jason McCourty is also joining the “Monday Night Countdown” cast.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/19/26 – Lakers Family Feud, NFL Eyes Overseas Team, Knicks Embarrass Nets

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.