Walmart is joining other retail giants in the activewear space with its launch of a new line from SoulCycle instructor Stacey Griffith and fashion designer Michelle Smith.
Called Love & Sports, the line offers 121 pieces including swimwear, retro running shorts and cropped sweatshirts inspired by “bold, iconic, vintage athletic style.”
Eventually, Griffith and Smith plan to add footwear and accessories to the brand.
Walmart, the world’s largest retailer, saw sales grow from $52.3 billion in 2019 to $70.8 billion in 2021, according to The NPD Group.
From 2014 to 2021, the number of activewear brands has jumped from 1,600 to around 2,400.
- March 2022: Abercrombie launched YPB, or “Your Personal Best,” an activewear line for men and women.
- December 2021: Foot Locker unveiled its first women’s sportswear brand Cozi.
- August 2021: Sustainable shoe brand Allbirds launched its first activewear collection.
- March 2021: Kohl’s launched activewear and athleisure brand FLX.
- February 2021: Target’s All in Motion activewear became the company’s 10th billion-dollar in-house brand.
Apparel sales are not separated from Walmart’s general merchandise in the company’s earnings report, but Griffith and Smith seem to be in good hands.
In the 2021 fiscal year, Walmart posted total revenue of $572.8 billion, with $7.09 billion reportedly coming from its home and apparel segment.