Venus Williams has made her next move to expand a diverse off-the-court business empire, launching vegan protein brand Happy Viking. Its first product will be a pre-made, plant-based protein shake in vanilla bean and triple chocolate flavors.
The protein brand is the latest addition to Williams’ portfolio:
- Williams founded an interior design company, V Starr Interiors, in 2002. It’s reportedly worth up to $60 million.
- She also has a fitness and athleisure apparel brand, EleVen, that she personally wears on the court.
- Both Williams and her sister, Serena, are minority investors in the Miami Dolphins.
Plant-Based Opportunity: U.S. plant-based food retail sales reached $5 billion in 2019, up 11.9% year-over-year. Some projections suggest the plant-based food market will be worth $74.2 billion by 2027.
Athlete investors are recognizing the opportunity, especially in the nearly $1 billion meat alternative market and include:
- Beyond Meat: Kyrie Irving, Chris Paul, Shaquille O’Neal and DeAndre Hopkins.
- Impossible Foods: Kirk Cousins, Paul George and the Serena Williams.