Monday, August 17, 2026
Law

Judge Allows Reworked $375 Million Settlement for UFC Fighters to Move Forward 

  • Federal judge Richard Boulware granted preliminary approval of a settlement that covers around 1,100 former UFC fighters. 
  • A preliminary settlement that included two fighter pay lawsuits was rejected over the summer. 
Former UFC fighter Cung Le
Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

A federal judge granted preliminary approval of the longest-running UFC fighter pay lawsuit Tuesday, more than two months after the same judge blocked the original deal

UFC and a group of around 1,100 former fighters agreed to a reworked $375 million settlement last month after U.S. District Court Judge Richard Boulware took the unusual move to halt an original deal—which covered two fighter pay lawsuits—at the preliminary stage over the amount of compensation. 

If the process moves forward without any significant snags, the average payout for the fighters covered by the settlement would be around $250,000 and payments could start to be distributed by the middle of next year. 

“It is a monumental achievement that will get significant relief to hundreds of deserving MMA fighters,” lead plaintiff attorney Eric Cramer said in a statement. “We honor our brave representative plaintiffs who fought for this result for ten years.”

The case, known as Le v. Zuffa (the former parent entity of UFC), was originally filed in December 2014 with former UFC fighter Cung Le among the lead plaintiffs. The class covers fighters who fought for UFC from December 2010 through June 2017. 

“Today’s decision is welcome news for both parties,” UFC said in a statement. “We are pleased to be another step closer to bringing the Le case to a close.”

In March, UFC had agreed to settle both Le v. Zuffa and a newer lawsuit that had retired UFC fighter Kajan Johnson as one of the lead plaintiffs for $335 million. The class members of that lawsuit covers around 1,200 fighters who competed in UFC from July 2017 onward and is not part of the reworked settlement. Johnson v. Zuffa will proceed with discovery toward a potential trial. 

“We look forward to pursuing significant business changes and more damages in our second antitrust case against the UFC,” Cramer said. 

Once Boulware officially enters his preliminary approval of the Le v. Zuffa settlement, the process—which includes determining legal fees and allowing class members to object to the deal—begins. It’s expected to take about three months before Boulware would rule on a final settlement and money could begin to flow to class members after an allocation process that could take approximately 90 days.

Endeavor purchased UFC in 2018 and later merged UFC with WWE to create TKO Group. 

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Scheffler Passes McIlroy, Pulls Behind Woods in Total Earnings

He can break Woods’s record at the BMW Championship in St. Louis.

Stephen A. Smith Vows to Fire Back at NABJ Over ‘Award’

“You had your turn, now mine is coming,” he wrote.

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
Exclusive

NFL’s Tom Brady Rules Are Back and Now Apply to Troy Aikman, Too

Aikman was involved in the Dolphins’ GM and coach hires this offseason.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

Bezos Buys Into Liverpool, Brady Rules Hit Aikman, NFL WAGs Going Viral

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
August 8, 2026

Mavs Owner Dumont Hits Back at Cuban in Arena Fight

Cuban is required to arbitrate the dispute privately, Dumont claims.
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 5, 2026

Feds Say Rozier Friend Threatening Witnesses in NBA Gambling Case

Prosecutors say De’Niro Laster has been intimidating witnesses on social media.
DraftKings
August 4, 2026

DraftKings Dragged Into Prediction-Market Lawsuit Wave

DraftKings Predictions has been sued three times in the last week.
FILE PHOTO: New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks to the media in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S., October 24, 2025.
July 31, 2026

New York Calls Kalshi ‘Illegal Gambling Operation’ in $36B Suit

Kalshi called the lawsuit “political theater.”
July 28, 2026

Major Figure in NBA Betting Case Pleads Guilty to Poker Fraud

Shane Hennen is implicated in all three federal gambling probes.