Friday, August 21, 2026

Sugar Bowl to Proceed Despite Louisiana AG’s Desire for Delay

Despite calls from Louisiana’s attorney general to delay it further, the Sugar Bowl will be played Thursday, and its full slate of pregame events will begin at noon ET.

Jan 1, 2025; New Orleans, LA, USA; Fans line at the front desk of the Sheraton hotel after the Sugar Bowl CFP quarterfinal between Georgia and Notre Dame was postponed after an attack on Bourbon Street.
Geoff Burke-Imagn Images

The Sugar Bowl was postponed a full day following a deadly attack in the early hours of New Year’s Day on Bourbon Street on Wednesday. On Thursday morning, the Sugar Bowl announced a new schedule of pregame festivities beginning at noon, leading up to kickoff at 4 p.m. ET on Thursday—despite vocalized concerns from Louisiana’s attorney general.

The game, featuring a College Football Playoff quarterfinal matchup between Notre Dame and Georgia, was originally slated for 8:45 p.m. ET on New Year’s Day in the Caesars Superdome, but it was postponed after a white Ford pickup truck rammed through Bourbon Street early Wednesday, a popular tourist destination filled with partygoers celebrating the new year, killing at least 15 and injuring dozens.

On Wednesday night, Louisiana attorney general Liz Murrill told NBC that she would’ve preferred the Sugar Bowl be delayed at least another day. “You know, it’s not my decision, but I would like to see it delayed at least another day,” she said. “If they asked my opinion, I would tell them that I think it was a wise decision to delay it at least a day.” But in its press release, the Sugar Bowl said that the game-time decision had been made in conjunction with federal, state, and local officials, as well as college football administrators. 

Front Office Sports has reached out to the attorney general’s office for clarification.

Sugar Bowl officials said in a press release Wednesday night that safety resources normally available for the game were preoccupied with the fallout from the attack, and that the postponement would “maintain the typical standards of a major event in the Caesars Superdome.”

The FBI is investigating the incident as an act of terror, and said in a statement that it found the flag of ISIS, as well as several explosives. The driver, identified as 42-year-old U.S. citizen Shamsud-Din Jabbar, was killed in a shootout with police. Local officials also said that explosives had been placed throughout the French Quarter and that detonation specialists spent the day Wednesday sweeping the area—another potential reason for the game’s postponement.

Despite Murrill’s concerns, however, the game is on. 

On Wednesday night, photos and videos on social media showed the Georgia team leaving its hotel, boarding buses to a closed walk-through practice.

ESPN adjusted its schedule to accommodate the new kickoff time, by moving the entire game megacast to Thursday afternoon. As part of the shuffle, the Gator Bowl between Duke and Ole Miss, taking place in Jacksonville, will be postponed 30 minutes from 7:30 p.m. ET to 8 p.m. ET to accommodate the Sugar Bowl.

ESPN announced its full team will be available for the game, and a spokesperson told Front Office Sports on Wednesday that all talent and crew members were safe and accounted for following the attack. 

It’s still somewhat unclear what game day will look like on the ground, however.

Because of the postponement, fans would have had to stay at least one more night, purchasing extra hotel rooms and moving flight reservations. On social media, reports emerged Thursday morning of fans clad in both Georgia and Notre Dame gear at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, presumably choosing to skip the game altogether.

The Sugar Bowl made a thread on X/Twitter on Wednesday night with updates for game day, appearing to suggest all pregame festivities, like the “Tailgate Town” event outside the Superdome, would take place in addition to the matchup. 

The Sugar Bowl has not made announcements for specific enhanced security for game time, but CEO Jeff Hundley said Wednesday: “We have full faith and confidence in the governor and the mayor and all the federal, state, and local first responders. … Any time we have an event like the Sugar Bowl, public safety is paramount, and all parties involved agree that could only be achieved with a postponement. Now we will move ahead to take care of the details to make the Sugar Bowl the first-class, fun, and safe event that it has been for over 90 years.”

During a news conference Wednesday, Louisiana Gov. Jeff Landry assured fans that the Sugar Bowl would be safe to attend—saying he knew because he would be there. “The facility is safer today than it was yesterday,” he told reporters.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Mar 28, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Timberwolves minority owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez celebrate the team's win over the Phoenix Suns at Target Center

Why Flood of NBA Team Sales Isn’t Slowing

Often it’s less about love of team, more about love of returns.

Appeals Court Pauses Fifth Year of Eligibility Order

An appeals court has yet to make a final decision.

Marc Lore Sells Wolves in Another NBA Ownership Stunner

The move comes just 14 months after Lore took over in Minnesota.
Sep 7, 2025; Flushing, NY, USA; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts against Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) (not pictured) during the final of mens singles at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Jannik Sinner Announces He Will Miss the US Open

Carlos Alcaraz announced Thursday that he will return at the US Open.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
Nov 6, 2023; Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA; Alabama guard Kai Spears (32) a walk on guard, takes a three late in the game at Coleman Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports

New York Times Loses $9.25M Defamation Verdict to Ex-Alabama Player

The outlet called the inaccurate report “an honest mistake.”
August 20, 2026

Judge: Players Can Go From NFL Training Camp Back to College

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit challenging the NCAA’s new eligibility model.
LSU Tigers head football coach Lane Kiffin talking with Quarterback Husan Longstreet 8 at LSU Football practice. August 18, 2026.
August 21, 2026

College Football Landscape Fueled by New Off-Field Drama

Five major storylines are shaping college football’s new business landscape.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
August 20, 2026

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.
August 19, 2026

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
First at FOS
August 17, 2026

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.