• Loading stock data...
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Sugar Bowl Postponed to 4 p.m. ET Thursday After Deadly Attack

As of Wednesday afternoon, both the Georgia Notre Dame football teams were sheltering in place in their hotels, according to multiple reports.

Geoff Burke-Imagn Images

The Sugar Bowl was postponed to Thursday, Jan. 2 at 4 p.m. ET, following a deadly attack on Bourbon Street in New Orleans early Wednesday morning.

Sugar Bowl chief executive Jeff Hundley said he consulted with ESPN and the College Football Playoff, and all parties agreed to postpone the event by 24 hours. But on Wednesday evening, the Sugar Bowl announced it would kick off slightly earlier in the day, at 4 p.m. ET Thursday.

The New Year’s Six matchup was originally planned to kick off at the Caesars Superdome in New Orleans at 8:45 p.m. ET  on Wednesday night. The matchup between Notre Dame and Georgia is serving as one of the quarterfinals in the expanded 12-team College Football Playoff format.

In a press release, Sugar Bowl officials said that law enforcement resources normally available for the event were preoccupied with the fallout of the attack and that the postponement would help “maintain the typical standards of a major event in the Caesars Superdome.”

“We have full faith and confidence in the governor and the mayor and all the federal, state, and local first responders that they’ve applied to this horrific event,” Hundley said in a statement Wednesday. Any time we have an event like the Sugar Bowl, public safety is paramount, and all parties involved agree that could only be achieved with a postponement. Now we will move ahead to take care of the details to make the Sugar Bowl the first-class, fun, and safe event that it has been for over 90 years.”

A long list of officials were involved in the decision, including the Sugar Bowl, local, state, and federal authorities, as well as the CFP, the SEC, Georgia, Notre Dame, and the Caesars Superdome. CFP executive director Rich Clark specifically thanked ESPN for its “flexibility” in changing the game window.

ESPN will air the game on Thursday, as well as its previously scheduled megacast, the network announced. Instead of the previously scheduled game broadcast on Wednesday night, the network would air an edition of SportsCenter.

“The decision to postpone tonight’s Sugar Bowl was made in the best interest of public safety,” SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey said in a statement. “Lives were tragically lost last night and we are appreciative that public officials and law enforcement agencies continue to work with great diligence to ensure the safety of the New Orleans community.”

At around 3:15 a.m. local time, a truck rammed through a crowd on Bourbon Street in New Orleans’ French Quarter, a popular destination for New Year’s Eve celebrations, injuring at least 25 and killing at least 10, according to local officials. The deadly incident is being investigated as a terrorist attack by the FBI, which said in a statement that the flag of the terrorist group ISIS was found in the white Ford pickup truck. The perpetrator was identified as 42-year-old Shamsud-Din Jabbar, a U.S. citizen from Texas. 

The FBI also said that it found explosive devices in the truck Jabbar was driving—as well as other devices planted throughout the French Quarter. As of Wednesday afternoon, special agent bomb technicians were working to ensure that the devices had been disabled.

Both Georgia and Notre Dame football teams sheltered in place in their hotels Wednesday, according to multiple reports. The entirety of the ESPN crew on the ground in New Orleans working to broadcast the Sugar Bowl was safe and accounted for, Front Office Sports confirmed.

The 2025 Super Bowl is scheduled to take place at the Superdome in February. The NFL released a statement Wednesday saying that plans for the event had not changed, as the league has been working with local officials and the host committee for two years on “comprehensive security plans.” 

“We are confident attendees will have a safe and enjoyable Super Bowl experience,” they said.

Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Los Angeles Mayor Says Wasserman Should Quit Olympics Over Epstein Ties

Wasserman announced he was selling his agency on Friday. 
Max Valverde by Ron Winsett

How Ski Mountaineering’s Hype Man Went From TikTok to NBC

Max Valverde’s gushing over the niche sport vaulted him to Olympic broadcaster.

Breanna Stewart Signs Turkey Deal With WNBA in Limbo

The WNBA season is scheduled to start May 8.

Featured Today

Feb 11, 2026; Livigno, Italy; Jaelin Kauf of the United States during freestyle skiing women's moguls final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Livigno Aerials & Moguls Park

The Surprise Hit of the Winter Olympics: First-Person Drone Views

Tiny drone cameras have reshaped the Olympics viewing experience.
Feb 11, 2026; Milan, Italy; Madison Chock and Evan Bates of the United States skate during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena.
February 13, 2026

Olympic Figure Skaters Pay Out of Pocket for $9,000 Costumes

For four minutes on ice, stakes are high—and prices even higher.
February 11, 2026

Epstein Emails Show His F1 Ties Ran Deep

The sex trafficker’s circles included many of the biggest names in F1.
February 6, 2026

Milan’s Olympic Village Is Built for Performance—and Partying

Making Milan’s Olympic Village was a five-year sprint.

Kansas State Tries to Use Rant to Avoid Paying Coach $18M Buyout

Tang’s contract says he’s entitled to a $18.7 million buyout.
Ole Miss quarterback Trinidad Chambliss returns to his seat after testifying during the hearing in his lawsuit against the NCAA at Calhoun County Courthouse in Pittsboro, Miss., on Thursday, Feb. 12, 2026. Chambliss is looking for a temporary injunction and a permanent injunction against the NCAA for one more year of eligibility.
February 12, 2026

Mississippi Judge Rules Trinidad Chambliss Can Play Another Year at Ole Miss

It’s the latest result in a flood of NCAA eligibility lawsuits.
Sep 16, 2023; Stanford, California, USA; Sacramento State Hornets running back Elijah Tau-Tolliver (25) celebrates after a touchdown during the fourth quarter against the Stanford Cardinal at Stanford Stadium
February 15, 2026

Sacramento State Will Pay $20M+ to Join MAC in FBS

The Hornets have been pushing hard for an FBS invitation.
Sponsored

From MLS to AUSL: Jon Patricof on Building Sports Leagues

Jon Patricof on athlete equity, fan-first strategy, and how women’s sports can reshape the future of league building.
Feb 7, 2026; Raleigh, North Carolina, USA; NC State Wolfpack JROTC does the National Anthem before dribbles the first half of the game against the Virginia Tech Hokies at Lenovo Center.
February 11, 2026

NCAA Refuses Settlement Talks in Athlete Employment Lawsuit

The NCAA and defendant schools have tried several times to get the case thrown out.
February 10, 2026

Kansas Says ‘No Inside Information’ After Odd Darryn Peterson Scratch

Kansas knocked off No. 1 Arizona without Peterson on Monday.
Oct 9, 2024; Charlotte, NC, USA; Pittsburgh head coach Tory Verdi during ACC Media Days at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.
February 10, 2026

Former Players Sue Pitt, Women’s Basketball Coach, Alleging Abuse

Six individual suits allege a pattern of “emotional and psychological abuse.”
February 9, 2026

Judge Rules Against Charles Bediako, Leaving Ex-Pro Ineligible Again

Bediako played five games for Alabama this year.