According to the AP, the Boston Red Sox will find themselves atop MLB’s payroll, unseating the Dodgers from their four-year reign as the league’s top spender.
The top 7 teams in terms of payroll are as follows:
- Boston Red Sox – $223 million
- San Francisco Giants – $203 million
- Chicago Cubs – $183 million
- Los Angeles Dodgers – $180 million
- Washington Nationals – $180 million
- Los Angeles Angels – $170 million
- New York Yankees – $167 million
With MLB’s luxury tax threshold sitting at $197 million for 2018, all but the Giants and Red Sox would find themselves safe.
— Red Sox (@RedSox) March 27, 2018
Coming it at approximately $71 million, the Oakland A’s and the Chicago White Sox are projected to have the lowest payrolls in the league.
With the 2018 MLB season set to kick off tomorrow, it will be interesting to see which teams live up to their lofty payrolls and which ones outplay their low payrolls.