Rather than risk new platform development that can lead to boom or bust console cycles, analysts believe new versions of the Switch could be the way forward — think Apple’s iPhone strategy. First up: an augmented reality game with a real-life remote controlled Mario Kart to compete with new Sony and Microsoft consoles this holiday season.
Nintendo’s Big Year:
- Hardware sales were up 166% in its April-June quarter.
- Software sales were up 123% in the quarter.
- Total revenue was $3.39 billion, with a $1.37 billion operating profit.
- New “upgraded Switch console” expected in 2021.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons has sold more than 22.4 million units since it was released in March.