Read in Browser

Front Office Sports - The Memo

Morning Edition

August 18, 2026

POWERED BY

The Lakers cannot escape Buss family drama. Not long after ESPN reported that the Buss family will sell its remaining stake in the franchise to incoming majority owners Joshua Kushner and Bob Iger, Lakers governor Jeanie Buss rebuffed the report. 

—Ben Horney

First Up

  • Mark Walter is in talks to sell his stake in Premier League soccer club Chelsea to the team’s majority owner, one week after he sold his controlling stake in the Lakers.
  • The NBA said an ESPN story about the Clippers investigation includes “numerous and significant inaccuracies,” while the company tells FOS it stands by its reporting.
  • Tennis stars are leaving the door open for media protests at the US Open, with top players waiting on the US Open to announce this year’s purse before deciding. 
  • The WNBA said fans were erroneously told to cover their XX-XY Athletics shirts at a Fever-Dream game. 

Buss Family Drama Brewing After Reported Lakers Sale

Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Despite the Lakers being sold twice in the last year, the franchise cannot escape Buss family drama.

Not long after ESPN reported Monday that the Buss family will sell its remaining 17.8% stake in the Lakers to incoming majority owners Joshua Kushner and Bob Iger, CNBC published a letter from Jeanie Buss’s lawyer arguing her siblings don’t have the right to compel the family to exit.

Jeanie Buss has remained team governor since her family sold a majority stake to Mark Walter last year at a then-record $10 billion valuation. But according to ESPN, the Buss Family Trust decided “as a family” to sell its remaining shares, a move that would mean Jeanie Buss no longer holds the requisite-size stake to stay on as team governor (under NBA rules, the governor must own at least 15% of a franchise).

ESPN reported “at least” five of the six Buss siblings voted to exercise what are known as “tag-along” rights, which are meant to protect minority investors by allowing them to sell their interest in a franchise when control changes hands. At least four votes in favor were required, ESPN said.

“We love the Lakers, Laker fans and will continue to support Los Angeles; but it is time to use this opportunity to move on and exit gracefully while we still can,” ESPN quoted the “Buss family” as saying.

But apparently that statement didn’t come from the entire Buss family. According to Jeanie Buss’s letter, first published by CNBC, the ESPN report from Shams Charania represents “the latest instance of a years-long pattern whereby Joey and Jesse Buss leak false, defamatory and pernicious ‘information’ to Mr. Charania for the malicious purpose of doing harm to the Los Angeles Lakers so long as Dr. Buss’s chosen successor, Jeanie Buss, carries out her father’s wishes.”

Before his 2013 death, Jerry Buss said the succession plan was for Jeanie Buss to become the Lakers governor and run the team.

According to Buss’s lawyer, Adam Streisand of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, a sale of the Buss family’s 17.8% Lakers stake cannot be made without approval by the current co-trustees, which are Jeanie, Janie, and Joey Buss. Additionally, his letter says there is a court order requiring the family to maintain at least a 15% ownership stake so Jeanie Buss can remain governor.

“On behalf of Jeanie Buss, I demand that your clients make clear publicly that Jeanie Buss is the Controlling Owner of the Los Angeles Lakers and that your clients shall take no action on this supposed ‘vote’ to sell the 17.8% stake,” the letter says.

Representatives for Joey and Jesse Buss and the NBA declined to comment. Representatives for Jeanie Buss and the Lakers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Last November, roughly one month after Walter’s acquisition of the Lakers was completed, the team fired Joey and Jesse Buss from their front office roles. “Joey and I were pushed to the sidelines for well over two years, so while the news of our removal is deeply disappointing, it is not entirely unexpected,” Jesse Buss wrote in an emailed statement to Front Office Sports at the time. “Still, it’s incredibly hard to see our time with the Lakers end this way. We grew up in this organization – learning the game, the business, and the responsibility of stewardship directly from our father.”

Joey and Jesse Buss have since launched their own investment firm, Buss Sports Capital, which has been linked to a potential NBA Europe franchise.

Walter shockingly sold the Lakers last week to the group led by Kushner and Iger at a $12.5 billion valuation, a deal that comes as his business empire is under investigation.

SPONSORED BY TRAVEL TEXAS

Build an Unforgettable Texas Trip

An unforgettable Texas adventure has never been easier. Texas offers an array of unique experiences, including bustling cities, awe-inspiring wilderness, and unforgettable dining options. Whether you’re looking for an endless thrill ride or a quiet retreat, The Texas Trip Builder can help you find the ideal getaway for you and your family. Grab your loved ones and head on down to Texas.

Start building your Texas itinerary today.

ONE BIG FIG

LIV Makes Decision on Michigan Event

Dennis Schneidler-Imagn Images

$40 million

That’s the amount of money LIV Golf was slated to pay out at its team championship in Michigan next week. The league finally announced the cancellation of the event after weeks of speculation amid LIV’s financial uncertainty as the Saudi Public Investment Fund’s funding ends after this season.

No details on any prize money shifts were revealed, so it’s unclear whether any of the $40 million previously allocated for the team championship will still be paid out. LIV has not yet responded to a request for clarity from Front Office Sports. 

This week’s LIV Golf Indianapolis event at The Club at Chatham Hills is scheduled to have a standard $30 million purse. The event, which begins Thursday, “will celebrate an Indianapolis champion, the 2026 season individual champion and top three finishers and the 2026 team champion.”

DAILY SPORTS TRIVIA

Can you rank the top five unique NHL players by the most hat tricks in a single season?

Play Factle Sports
FOS NEWS

Jessica Pegula Talks Pursuit of First US Open Title

FOS graphic

Jessica Pegula joined Front Office Sports to discuss chasing her first US Open title after her runner-up finish, the WTA’s new genetic sex testing policy, her prediction for the Buffalo Bills this season, and more.

FOS Today  
YOUR MORNING LISTEN

Clippers’ Steve Ballmer reportedly cleared, Mark Walter eyes Chelsea exit, Jayden Daniels trolled, and more

Listen Now ›

Editors’ Picks

ESPN Closes In on Announce Teams for NFL Network Games

by Ryan Glasspiegel
It remains “fluid” whether Jason Kelce will join some game broadcasts.

Vote Coming to Ease Tennis Stars’ Schedules, WTA Council Member Says

by Colin Salao
The vote will likely take place during the US Open.

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Number Controversy

by Amanda Christovich
Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.

Question of the Day

Do you think the Buss family should sell its remaining stake in the Lakers?

 YES   NO 

Monday’s result: 83% of respondents think Scottie Scheffler will overtake Tiger Woods in career earnings this weekend.

Events Video Games Shop
Written by Ben Horney
Edited by Katie Krzaczek, Jeff Benson, Catherine Chen

If this email was forwarded to you, you can subscribe here.

Update your preferences / Unsubscribe

Copyright © 2026 Front Office Sports. All rights reserved.
460 Park Avenue South, 7th Floor, New York NY, 10016

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletters

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.