Former South Carolina football coach Will Muschamp will walk away with a buyout of approximately $13 million after the school fired him Sunday. The payout comes as many athletic department faculty members were furloughed to help mitigate financial strains caused by the pandemic.
Prior to the season, athletic director Roy Tanner estimated South Carolina’s athletic department would miss out on $58 million in revenue because of the pandemic. School President Bob Caslen previously estimated the university will see a revenue dip of $165 million during its fiscal year.
Analysts expect some coaches could be spared with athletic departments watching their budgets under pandemic stress.
Largest Current College Football Coach Buyouts:
- Texas A&M’s Jimbo Fisher — $53.1 million
- Clemson’s Dabo Swinney — $50.0 million
- Ohio State’s Ryan Day — $45.4 million
- Alabama’s Nick Saban — $36.8 million
- Oklahoma’s Lincoln Riley — $30.9 million