Of America’s 400 richest people, 42 own professional sports teams. Collectively, those 42 are worth $271 billion, up 6% compared to 2019.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Steve Ballmer, ranked No. 6, is the highest sports team owner on the list for the sixth consecutive year. Steve Cohen, who is in discussions to buy the New York Mets, would be among the richest team owners thanks to his estimated worth of $14.5 billion.
While not a team owner, Nike founder Phil Knight and his family are ranked No. 17 on the list, worth $39.2 billion.
Top 5 Richest Sports Teams Owners:
- Steve Ballmer, Los Angeles Clippers — $69 billion (No. 6 overall)
- David Tepper, Carolina Panthers, Charlotte FC — $13 billion (No. 41)
- Robert Pera, Memphis Grizzlies — $10.5 billion (No. 45)
- Philip Anschutz, Los Angeles Kings and Galaxy — $10.1 billion (No. 50)
- Jerry Jones, Dallas Cowboys — $8.6 billion (No. 56)
Teams Owned By Forbes 400 Members:
NFL: 16 teams
NBA: 14 teams
NHL: 9 teams
MLB: 7 teams
MLS: 7 teams
English Premier League: 4 teams
Racing: 1 team