Video games continued a strong 2020 as the industry recorded $977 million in May sales. It was a 52% increase from last year, according to The NPD Group, which tracks sales of video game hardware, software, and accessories. It was the industry’s best May since 2008, which totaled $1.2 billion.
Year-to-date video game industry sales are $5.5 billion, an 18% increase year-over-year and the highest total since $5.7 billion in 2011.
May Video Game Sales:
- Hardware: $235 million, up 56% year-over-year.
- Software: $438 million, up 67%.
- Accessories: $304 million, up 32%.
- Hardware: $1.4 billion, up 34%.
- Software $2.5 billion, up 13%.
- Accessories: $1.6 billion, up 12%.
- Nintendo Switch was the best-selling platform.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was the best-selling game on Xbox One and PS4.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons was the best-selling game on Nintendo Switch.
- Along with Call of Duty, NBA 2K20 and Madden NFL 20 were the top three selling games the past 12 months.
As the video game industry soars, AT&T could cash in. The company is set to sell the Warner Bros. gaming division for up to $4 billion, part of its efforts to address its $200 billion in debt stemming from its $109 billion acquisition of Time Warner in 2018. The unit, which includes games like Mortal Kombat, has reportedly seen interest from gaming publishers Electronic Arts, Activision Blizzard, and Take-Two Interactive.