Tuesday, May 19, 2026

Mayor Calls Commanders RFK Stadium Deal ‘a BFD’ for D.C.’s Future

Eager to secure sufficient political support for a proposed return to the District of Columbia, the Commanders have improved their offer.

Imagn Images

WASHINGTON — Though not one of the key teams in the NFL’s still-legal Tush Push, the Commanders are looking to move their proposed $3.8 billion stadium project over the goal line with a sweetened offer to District of Columbia officials. 

As team officials, including team president Mark Clouse, testified before the council Wednesday in a five-hour, sometimes contentious hearing, the club detailed in writing an enhanced proposal for the planned project at the site of RFK Stadium.

The new commitments from the team for the stadium and mixed-use development include:

  • Accepting financial responsibility for all cost overruns.
  • Investing $50 million in community benefits over 30 years, with $20 million of that money focused on developing a youth sports complex that will be located adjacent to the new stadium. Another $10 million is earmarked for basic services in Ward 7, where the venue will be located, including subsidies for grocery stores in an area that has been described as a “food desert.”
  • Committing to a plan to build the new facility to top environmental standards. Ecological concerns were among the most frequently cited issues during a marathon hearing Tuesday lasting nearly 14 hours and centered on testimony from the public. 
  • Developing open spaces in the RFK campus “with diverse uses in mind, including, but not limited to, a skate park, pole vaulting areas, a dog park, public plazas, and traditional parks.”
  • Agreeing to discuss potential collaborations with the NWSL’s Washington Spirit, and that “working with the Spirit … may result in a mutually beneficial relationship.” The soccer team currently plays at Audi Field. Magic Johnson is an investor in both the Commanders and Spirit. This element will mean designing the stadium with hosting soccer in mind, particularly for major matches, Clouse said, but no decisions have been made about that team’s long-term home. 
  • Maintaining the legacy of the late Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, whose name is used for the stadium property in question.
  • Pausing planned development of a third parking structure at the site to further evaluate the need for one, while also promoting greater use of public transportation, including potentially with an additional Metrorail station. 

“We have approached this process with humility and a spirit of collaboration,” Clouse testified. “Over the last several months, we’ve engaged directly with fans, neighbors, elected and community leaders, and small businesses—and we’ve listened carefully. We’ve had open conversations with District officials, shared information proactively, and worked in good faith to refine our proposal.”

Council Reaction

The team’s enhanced commitments generally drew a positive reaction, even from council members who had previously expressed skepticism over the project.

“I think we’ve made progress with this commitment letter,” from the Commanders, said council member Charles Allen, who has frequently spoken out against the stadium agreement. 

Still, the team and D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser were pressed by the council, and Allen specifically, about the project’s transportation plan and the significant influx of car traffic that is set to arrive—suggesting that more changes in this area are coming. The stadium area has generally not seen large-scale traffic since the Commanders, playing under their former name, left RFK Stadium after the 1996 season, and Major League Soccer’s D.C. United followed suit in 2018. 

Many of the individual exchanges, however, also exposed existing political tensions between Bowser and certain council members. 

Mayor’s Corner

Bowser testified Wednesday alongside the Commanders, and she stressed the potentially transformative opportunity to remake the long-blighted and neglected RFK Stadium area. 

“To borrow a phrase, this is a BFD. Very big,” she said. “The time is now to act and not miss our chance.” 

The council is set to take the first of two scheduled votes on the stadium funding Friday, with a second to follow in September. Passage is expected as council chair Phil Mendelson has marshaled additional support after recently restructuring the bill in advance of the Commanders’ latest commitments.

Postgame Pronouncements

After the two long days of hearings, Bowser was emphatic that the votes are there to pass the stadium bill, echoing Mendelson’s confidence.

“We have a great project. We have the right partner. It’s the right time. Everyone’s been heard. And now it’s time to vote,” she said. 

A nickname controversy recently resurfaced by U.S. President Donald Trump was scarcely mentioned during the hearings, and Bowser said the District’s focus remains squarely on completing the deal.

“I don’t think we’re spending any energy on that [issue],” Bowser said in response to a Front Office Sports question. “We remain focused on what we can do as a city. … It’s also important to note that everybody’s kind of ready to go and are waiting on the approval.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

NFL Pushes Back on Criticism Over TV and Streaming Deals

The league remains steadfast in its overall media approach.

NFL Moves Closer to 10 International Games—and Could Hit 11

The league builds out further its international scheduling plans.

Brian Flores Subpoenas Dozens of Teams As NFL Lawsuit Grows

The Vikings assistant is now seeking records from 31 teams.

NFL Sets Another Super Bowl Without Dates As Schedule Questions Loom

The home markets of the Titans and Vikings each landed a big event.

Featured Today

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.
May 13, 2026

How Sports Graphic Designers Are Grappling With the Rise of AI Art

The release of ChatGPT 2.0 Images sparked a conversation among sports designers.
May 12, 2026

Collectible Cups Are Sending Sports Fans Into a Frenzy

The drink is secondary to the wild vessel it comes in.

Trail Blazers Lay Off Dozens As Tom Dundon’s Cuts Continue

The team confirmed the departures in a statement Tuesday.
May 4, 2026; New York, New York, USA; New York Knicks guard Josh Hart (3) controls the ball against Philadelphia 76ers forward/guard Kelly Oubre Jr. (9) during the first quarter of game one of the eastern conference semifinal round of the 2026 NBA Playoffs at Madison Square Garden.
May 18, 2026

Knicks Ticket Demand Sees MSG Get-In Prices Soar

Resale ticket prices for any potential Finals games at MSG begin at about $2,500.
May 19, 2026

Arsenal Wins First Premier League Title Under American Owners

The Gunners hadn’t won England’s top league since 2004.
Sponsored

Mark Cuban Peels Back the Curtain

Mark Cuban discusses sports ownership, the rise of NIL, and the evolving media landscape.
May 13, 2006; Washington, D.C, USA; FILE PHOTO; Houston Comets at Washington Mystics -- Houston forward Sheryl Swoopes brings the ball up court.
May 14, 2026

Houston WNBA Team Expects to Keep Comets Name

The Connecticut Sun will move to Houston in 2027.
May 13, 2026

Bob Myers Will Run Sixers While Leading Hunt for New GM

Myers constructed four championship teams in Golden State. 
May 11, 2026

Braves Earnings Show Promise and Pressure of RSN Shift

The club’s revenue surged, aided in part by the earlier season start.
May 11, 2026

Clippers Were the Quiet Winners of NBA Draft Lottery

The Clippers will pick fifth in June’s draft.