Sunday, August 23, 2026

Gap Narrows Between Women’s and Men’s Tourneys, but Issues Remain

UConn coach Geno Auriemma is not satisfied with the tournament format, while South Carolina coach Dawn Staley is concerned about what will come in the revenue-sharing era.

Apr 4, 2025; Tampa, FL, USA; South Carolina Gamecocks head coach Dawn Staley reacts during the first quarter in a semifinal of the women's 2025 NCAA tournament against the Texas Longhorns at Amalie Arena.
Nathan Ray Seebeck/Imagn Images
Jan 18, 2024; Boulder, Colorado, USA; General view of a Fox Sports broadcast microphone before the game between the Oregon Ducks against the Colorado Buffaloes at the CU Events Center. Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Exclusive

Steven Ruiz Leaving The Ringer for Fox Sports

Ruiz had been with The Ringer since 2021.
Read Now
August 21, 2026 |

TAMPA, Fla. — It’s been nearly four years since the release of the 2021 gender equity report that revealed systemic disparities between the men’s and women’s NCAA basketball tournaments. 

The report, issued by then-NCAA president Mark Emmert, came months after a viral video from former Oregon center Sedona Prince that highlighted the stark gap between the women’s and men’s weight rooms in their respective “bubbles,” when both tournaments were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NCAA has made several major changes in recent years to bridge the gap, and the effects have been noticeable, athletes and administrators say. “What the gender equity report provided is that it really spurred that growth and accelerated it significantly,” NCAA VP for women’s basketball Lynn Holzman tells Front Office Sports.

“I felt the growth just with fans, with the viewership, with the resources provided throughout [March Madness],” Oregon guard Deja Kelly told FOS. Kelly has been in the last five NCAA tournaments, including the one in the bubble.

While both players and coaches have noted the improvements, they say there is still a lot to do to reach parity and position women’s college basketball for as much growth as possible.

In 2021, before the gender equity report, ESPN, the NCAA’s broadcast partner, decided to air all tournament games nationally. In 2023, the title game was moved to ABC.

It’s paid dividends in the ratings. Last year, with a boost from Caitlin Clark, March Madness viewership grew at least 86% in each round, capped by 18.9 million viewers in the title game—the first time viewership surpassed the men’s championship game. The audience is down 31% this year compared to 2024, but still up 47% vs. 2023

This year is also the first of a new media-rights agreement between the NCAA and ESPN: an eight-year, $920 million deal for 40 NCAA championships that included the women’s tournament at a valuation of $65 million per year. The increased revenue allowed the NCAA to, for the first time, pay conferences for March Madness success via units, which has happened the men’s tournament for decades. This year’s prize pool was $15 million, valuing one unit at about $113,600. It will grow to $25 million by 2027.

The gap with the men’s tournament is still stark. Its media deal is worth about $1.1 billion annually, and each unit paid out this year was worth an estimated $2 million

Despite the inclusion of women’s March Madness in the media deal, the 2021 gender equity report suggested the women’s tournament receive its own, separate agreement. A third-party media expert said such an arrangement could have been valued at $81 to $112 million per year, according to the 2021 report. 

Dawn Staley reiterated that point at Saturday’s press conference in Tampa ahead of the title game. “We need our own television deal so we can understand what our worth is,” she said.

Staley said she hopes that newly appointed Women’s Basketball Coaches Association president Jose Fernandez can potentially kickstart those negotiations. However, the women’s tournament may have to wait until 2032, when the combined men’s and women’s media-deals expire. This does open the door for equity as the NCAA can negotiate deals for the two championships simultaneously.

The NCAA also made another major change in the women’s tournament’s format. Aside from adding the First Four, it shifted its Sweet 16 and Elite Eight to a two-region format instead of four, which has boosted attendance. Holzman also tells FOS the NCAA plans to look into moving the first two rounds to neutral sites, which would mirror the men’s tournament.

However, UConn coach Geno Auriemma isn’t happy with the change. “By going to two regionals, we’ve taken the game away from the people,” he told reporters Thursday. Over the weekend, Auriemma continued to stress his frustrations, telling reporters the move is “short-changing” student-athletes and their fans. “What you’re saying if you have two regionals is that you don’t care if half the country can’t get to the game,” Auriemma said Friday.

Auriemma also proposed a schedule alteration in which the women would have more time between games and have their Final Four on “a different weekend than the men.” 

NCAA president Charlie Baker defended the two-regional format and said “a lot of coaches” backed the setup.

“The main reason the women’s basketball committee went to the two sites was to fill the stands, create a better experience for the kids, and drive attendance,” Baker told reporters Friday in Tampa. “And they accomplished both of those objectives, attendance numbers have been much higher the last few years and the kids really enjoy a packed house.”

Apr 5, 2025; Tampa, FL, USA; UConn Huskies guard Paige Bueckers (5) practices before the NCAA Woman’s Final at Amalie Arena
Nathan Ray Seebeck/Imagn Images

While Holzman did not suggest the idea of a timing change in the women’s schedule, she did emphasize there are no plans to combine the two Final Fours in one venue—even if this was suggested in the gender equity report. “The equity absolutely is a paramount principle …  but we also have to … recognize some of the unique elements between men and women’s basketball,” she says.

Amid the women’s tournament’s growth, conversation has also shifted to include NIL (name, image, and likeness) rules, especially given the House settlement approval, which could come as early as Monday. 

With revenue sharing set to provide a cap-like structure to schools, the question remains: Where does women’s basketball fall in the pecking order?

Staley expressed some concern about women’s basketball potentially taking another step back because of the new rules. “Now that rev-share’s a part of [NCAA], we’re not considered a revenue-producing sport prior to us being in demand. But we’re becoming a revenue-producing sport. Not there yet, but the rev-share dollars won’t allow us more because it’s based off of what happened,” Staley said Thursday.

Emily Jo Roberts, an agent at Wasserman, tells FOS there needs to be a shift away from the idea that money should go only to football and men’s basketball. “There’s the very old, antiquated idea that you give money to football and men’s basketball because that’s what’s ‘making you money’ and you just kind of throw what’s left to women’s basketball or other women’s sports,” Roberts says. “I just think that that is an antiquated way to look at this now that we really should be operating much more like a business as opposed to athletic departments.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Mar 28, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Timberwolves minority owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez celebrate the team's win over the Phoenix Suns at Target Center

Why Flood of NBA Team Sales Isn’t Slowing

Often it’s less about love of team, more about love of returns.
Aug 10, 2026; College Park, Georgia, USA; Toronto Tempo guard Marina Mabrey (3) dribbles against Atlanta Dream guard Rhyne Howard (10) in the third quarter at Gateway Center Arena at College Park. Mandatory Credit: Colin Hubbard-Imagn Images

WNBA Tanking Season Is Officially Underway

The Toronto Tempo have lost 12 games in a row.

Appeals Court Pauses Fifth Year of Eligibility Order

An appeals court has yet to make a final decision.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
Nov 6, 2023; Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA; Alabama guard Kai Spears (32) a walk on guard, takes a three late in the game at Coleman Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports

New York Times Loses $9.25M Defamation Verdict to Ex-Alabama Player

The outlet called the inaccurate report “an honest mistake.”
August 20, 2026

Judge: Players Can Go From NFL Training Camp Back to College

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit challenging the NCAA’s new eligibility model.
LSU Tigers head football coach Lane Kiffin talking with Quarterback Husan Longstreet 8 at LSU Football practice. August 18, 2026.
August 21, 2026

College Football Landscape Fueled by New Off-Field Drama

Five major storylines are shaping college football’s new business landscape.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.
August 20, 2026

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.
August 19, 2026

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
First at FOS
August 17, 2026

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
Exclusive
August 14, 2026

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.