• Loading stock data...
Wednesday, February 18, 2026
Law

DOJ Files More Charges for Burglaries of Mahomes, Other Athletes

Seven men have been connected to home break-ins of athletes including Mahomes, Kelce, and Burrow.

Department of Justice

Seven men are facing federal criminal charges for burglarizing homes of professional athletes, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.

The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida unsealed a criminal complaint originally filed Jan. 30 against the individuals, who face up to 10 years in federal prison.

Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce, and Joe Burrow are some of the professional athletes whose homes law enforcement believe were burglarized by these men. A photo investigators say is of the men shows one of them wearing a Chiefs shirt, while others pose with watches stolen from the home of Bobby Portis, Jr., of the Bucks.

Pablo Zuniga Cartes, Ignacio Zuniga Cartes, Bastian Jimenez Freraut, Jordan Quiroga Sanchez, Bastian Orellano Morales, Alexander Huiaguil Chavez, and Sergio Ortega Cabello are the men named in the complaint. Last month, four of them were found with an LSU shirt and Bengals hat before being indicted by a grand jury in Ohio’s Clark County. A federal grand jury in Ohio charged three of them in early February, directly accusing them of the Burrow break-in.

Mike Conley of the Timberwolves, Mahomes, Kelce, Portis, Linval Joseph of the Cowboys (at his Minnesota home), Burrow, the mother of Celtics player Jaylen Brown, and Luca Doncic all experienced home break-ins this fall. The home of Olivier Giroud of LAFC was also targeted during a match in early February.

The unsealed complaint links the men to the burglaries of Mahomes, Kelce, Portis, and Burrow, and also ties them to previously unknown break-ins of a Tampa Bay Buccaneer on Oct. 21 during a game against the Ravens, and a Memphis Grizzlies player on Dec. 19 during a game versus the Warriors.

One man pictured in the same photo with the Chiefs shirt is unidentified in the complaint, which also mentions a contact called “Luis” in several of the burner phones. The complaint was compiled by an FBI special agent whose name was redacted.

Two men, Dimitriy Nezhinskiy and Juan Villar, were arrested earlier this month in New York under a felony indictment for burglaries, and investigators said their phone usage had been connected to two of the four men arrested in Ohio.

Different local, state, and federal agencies were involved in the investigation, including the FBI, Homeland Security Investigations, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation, and seven local sheriff’s offices and police departments. All seven men are from Chile, and five of them are between 20 and 24 years old, according to the attorney’s office.

Investigators used cell tower data, iCloud search warrants, security cameras, hotel rental records, and car rental registrations to identify the men. They found photos taken soon after burglaries showing items reported missing from athletes’ homes.

According to the complaint, the burglars stole property valued at about $167,000 from the Buccaneers player, about $1.5 million from Portis, about $300,000 from Burrow, and about $1 million from the Grizzlies player. It says they stole at least $5,000 in property value from both Mahomes and Kelce, which is the amount that triggers federal law when those stolen goods are transported between states.

Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

49ers’ Record 38,000-Mile Season Schedule Includes Mexico, Australia

The franchise will play games in Australia and Mexico this fall.
Adam Silver at All-Star

After Fixing All-Star Format, NBA and NBC Weighing Saturday Changes

NBC is eyeing a potential one-on-one or two-on-two tournament.

Knicks, Rangers Could Be Spun Off Into Separate Public Companies

Activist shareholders have long said the teams are undervalued.

Royals Near Ballpark Decision As Owner Warns ‘Time Not Our Friend’

The MLB club draws closer to a long-awaited ballpark decision.

Featured Today

Max Valverde by Ron Winsett

How Ski Mountaineering’s Hype Man Went From TikTok to NBC

Max Valverde’s gushing over the niche sport vaulted him to Olympic broadcaster.
Feb 11, 2026; Livigno, Italy; Jaelin Kauf of the United States during freestyle skiing women's moguls final during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Livigno Aerials & Moguls Park
February 13, 2026

The Surprise Hit of the Winter Olympics: First-Person Drone Views

Tiny drone cameras have reshaped the Olympics viewing experience.
Feb 11, 2026; Milan, Italy; Madison Chock and Evan Bates of the United States skate during the Milano Cortina 2026 Olympic Winter Games at Milano Ice Skating Arena.
February 13, 2026

Olympic Figure Skaters Pay Out of Pocket for $9,000 Costumes

For four minutes on ice, stakes are high—and prices even higher.
February 11, 2026

Epstein Emails Show His F1 Ties Ran Deep

The sex trafficker’s circles included many of the biggest names in F1.
exclusive
February 4, 2026

Chicago Sky ‘Self-Dealing’ Suit Is Reminder of WNBA’s Painful Past

A minority investor sued team co-founder Michael Alter last week.
February 11, 2026

How Olympic Figure Skating Music Ended Up in a Copyright Quagmire

Copyright issues are causing chaos for several skaters in Milan.
Sponsored

From MLS to AUSL: Jon Patricof on Building Sports Leagues

Jon Patricof on athlete equity, fan-first strategy, and how women’s sports can reshape the future of league building.
A view of a Nike retail store in New York City.
February 4, 2026

Feds Probing Nike for ‘Systemic’ Discrimination Against White Workers

“This feels like a surprising and unusual escalation,” Nike said.
Sep 26, 2025; San Diego, California, USA; San Diego Padres right fielder Fernando Tatis Jr. (23) hits a grand slam home run during the fourth inning Arizona Diamondbacks at Petco Park
February 4, 2026

Padres Sale Looms After Seidler Family Resolves Lawsuit

Sheel Seidler dropped most of the claims against two of her brothers.
Demonstrators rally outside of the Supreme Court as the justices hear oral arguments in two cases related to transgender athlete participation in sports in Washington, DC, on Jan. 13, 2026. The cases, Little v. Hecox and West Virginia v. B.P.J., seek to decide whether laws that limit participation to women and girls based on sex violate the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment.
January 30, 2026

The Former D-I Soccer Player Turned Lawyer Taking On Trans Athlete Cases

“There’s not that many people doing it.”
January 29, 2026

Court Deals Major Blow to Retired Players in Disability Suit Against NFL

A federal judge denied the retired NFL players a class certification.