Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Deshaun Watson Says He’s ‘Surprised’ by Latest Sexual Assault Allegations

  • The woman’s lawyer says that ‘Watson was well aware of this victim.’
  • Details of Watson’s contract became public after the lawsuit was filed.
Akron Beacon Journal

Deshaun Watson told reporters he was “surprised” by the latest lawsuit that accused the Browns quarterback of sexual assault minutes after his lawyer rejected the claims Wednesday. 

“Deshaun strongly denies the allegations in the Jane Doe lawsuit filed Monday,” attorney Rusty Hardin said in a statement to Front Office Sports and other outlets. “We have asked him not to comment further while this matter works its way through the courts, but are comfortable he will ultimately be vindicated.”

A woman, referenced only as Jane Doe, alleged in the lawsuit filed in Harris County, Tex., that Watson sexually assaulted her inside her apartment in 2020. The NFL—which suspended Watson for 11 games and fined him $5 million for violating the league’s personal conduct policy—has initiated an investigation into the latest claims, but did not place Watson on the commissioner’s exempt list. 

Watson said he had no knowledge of the latest lawsuit until it was reported in the media Monday. That claim led Houston-based attorney Tony Buzbee—who represented nearly all the women since the first lawsuit was filed against Watson was filed in March 2021—to issue his own statement Wednesday. 

“We reached out to attorney Rusty Hardin’s office for ten months in an attempt to resolve this case,” Buzbee said on his Instagram account. “Mr. Watson was well aware of this victim and her claims immediately after it occurred and Watson was again reminded back when we filed the first lawsuit for the other multiple victims.”

While Watson settled with 23 women, the Monday lawsuit brings the count of active civil cases against him to three, according to court records. Separately, the Texans settled with 30 accusers in June 2022. 

In March of that year, the Browns had dealt three first-round picks to Houston for Watson, who then signed a “fully guaranteed” five-year, $230 million deal after the trade.

But Sports Illustrated reported Tuesday that there are some caveats to that guaranteed money. In the contract, which SI reported was labeled “March 2023”—Watson restructured his contract last year—Watson could be considered to be “in default of this Contract” if he again is suspended under the league’s personal conduct policy or if it is “reasonably believed by Club [that Watson has] engaged in personal conduct that materially and adversely affects or reflects on Club or has his contract terminated for engaging in personal conduct that reasonably judged by Club to materially and adversely affect or reflect on Club.” 

Buzbee said in his statement his office has “heard from the NFL” and “will respond in due course.”

“We will be ready to defend this case in court at the appropriate time, but don’t intend to conduct our defense in the media,” Hardin’s statement continued. “We would ask that people be patient while the legal process runs its course.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Controversy

Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.
Kurt Warner
Exclusive

ESPN Closes In on Announce Teams for NFL Network Games

It remains “fluid” whether Jason Kelce will join some game broadcasts.
Feb 11, 2024; Paradise, Nevada, USA; CBS analyst J.J. Watt on the field before Super Bowl LVIII between the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

J.J. Watt’s CBS Rise Could Reshape the NFL Analyst Pecking Order

Watt will serve as CBS’s top game analyst in Tony Romo’s absence.

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

A Conversation with Jessica Pegula on the US Open, WTA Sex Testing, and More.

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Exclusive

Vote Coming to Ease Tennis Stars’ Schedules

The vote will likely take place during the US Open.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Final Year of Brandon Clarke’s NBA Contract Voided After Death

Clarke died in May in Los Angeles. 
August 16, 2026

Scheffler Passes McIlroy, Pulls Behind Woods in Total Earnings

He can break Woods’s record at the BMW Championship in St. Louis.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
Terrell Owens
August 13, 2026

Terrell Owens on Losing His Fortune: ‘Money Was Just Missing’

Owens says he eventually hired forensic accountants after discovering missing money.
August 10, 2026

How the Chicago Sky Found the League’s Biggest Revelation

Sydney Taylor went undrafted in 2024 and played two years in Europe.
August 7, 2026

Money Suddenly Floods NFL’s Running Back Market

The long-overlooked position gets a big jolt of new energy. 
August 7, 2026

Clippers, Leonard Had Sponsorship Deal With Daktronics: Report

Daktronics installed the Intuit Dome’s halo board.