Tuesday, August 18, 2026
Law

Brian Davis Drops Lawsuit Over Washington Commanders Sale

  • Davis originally sued Bank of America for $500B over his attempt to enter Commanders bidding process.
  • The lawsuit’s monetary demand dropped to $999,000 before Davis’ lawyer moved to dismiss case.
Washington-Commanders
Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports

Less than two weeks after wannabe Washington Commanders owner Brian Davis sued Bank of America for $500 billion, Davis has dropped the litigation. 

The former Duke men’s basketball player’s attorney Jeffery Martin’s notice of voluntary dismissal was accepted by U.S. District Court Judge Deborah L. Boardman on Thursday. 

There are no indications in court records that there was any type of settlement. 

The move comes in the aftermath of a Friday hearing where Ava E. Lias-Booker, one of Bank of America’s attorneys, questioned the authenticity of the claims at the center of the case. 

“The documents we have in our possession raise considerable concerns about their genuineness,” Lias-Booker said. 

During the hearing Boardman also questioned whether Davis met the requirements needed to secure a temporary restraining order requested by Martin on Davis’ behalf.

“Given the judge’s preliminary assessment of the case in which she appeared skeptical of Urban Echo’s claims, Davis may have weighed the very low likelihood of success versus the huge downside risk of further scrutiny, and decided the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze,” said sports law attorney Daniel Wallach, co-host of the Conduct Detrimental podcast.

Messages left with Martin and Bank of America were not immediately returned. 

Davis alleged in the lawsuit filed on May 19 that Bank of America “failed to deposit the bank drafts” sent by his company, Urban Echo Energy, that totaled $5.1 billion. The two transfers were part of Davis’ push to enter the bidding process for the Commanders. 

There had been questions about the funds that Davis claimed back his $7 billion bid for Commanders, and the documents submitted as part of the lawsuit and others FOS reviewed failed to shed any more light on the source of the money. 

Sources previously told FOS Davis was never a contender for the Commanders, a team Josh Harris entered into an agreement to purchase from current owner Dan Snyder for $6.05 billion on May 12.  

The original award amount sought was more than double the largest settlement in U.S. history: the 1998 deal reached with multiple tobacco companies. It was also nearly $300 billion more than Bank of America’s market cap. 

Days after the lawsuit was filed, the monetary demand dropped to $999,0000.

“While the court may have closed the books on this case, Bank of America may have different ideas — not to mention a legal obligation — regarding the next steps,” Wallach told FOS.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Controversy

Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.

Why Jeff Bezos Remains on the NFL Ownership Sidelines

FSG announced the Liverpool deal Friday.

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.

After $9.6 Billion Seahawks Sale, Which NFL Team Is Next?

NFL owners aren’t rushing to sell despite soaring values.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/18/26 – Clippers’ Ballmer Reportedly Cleared, Walter Eyes Chelsea Exit, Jayden Daniels Trolled

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Golf - LIV Golf - United Kingdom - JCB Golf and Country Club, Uttoxeter, Britain - July 24, 2026 Crushers GC's Bryson DeChambeau in action as he hits a tee shot on the first hole during the second round
First at FOS

Production Company Sues LIV for $1.2M in Missed Payments

Fresh Tape managed logistics and on-site production for a LIV event in Florida.
August 14, 2026

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
August 14, 2026

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.
August 8, 2026

Mavs Owner Dumont Hits Back at Cuban in Arena Fight

Cuban is required to arbitrate the dispute privately, Dumont claims.
August 5, 2026

Feds Say Rozier Friend Threatening Witnesses in NBA Gambling Case

Prosecutors say De’Niro Laster has been intimidating witnesses on social media.
DraftKings
August 4, 2026

DraftKings Dragged Into Prediction-Market Lawsuit Wave

DraftKings Predictions has been sued three times in the last week.