More than 33 million Americans are planning on wagering money on the 2020 NFL season, according to the American Gaming Association. That projection comes as more Americans will have access to legal betting than ever before as 18 states and Washington, D.C. now have legalized betting.
Among those interested in betting on the NFL, 54% said they were especially excited for the 2020 season — more than the 41% of avid NFL fans looking forward to kickoff. The increased engagement from bettors can eventually bring the NFL an additional $2.3 billion in revenue, according to a 2018 AGA study.
Sportsbook operators have also reported an uptick in demand heading into this NFL season.
Other NFL Betting Findings:
- 16.6 million will make casual bets with friends, coworkers or family
- 11.3 million will bet online, legally or illegally
- 8.6 million will play in pools, fantasy or squares
- 6.6 million American adults will bet at a legal physical sportsbook
- 6 million will bet with a bookie