Thursday, August 20, 2026
Law

Baltimore Orioles CEO Says Team ‘Will Never Leave’ Charm City

  • Statement comes days after John Angelos’ brother alleged in lawsuit that a move to Tennessee was possible.
  • The Orioles are in the midst of another losing season and team is last in total payroll.
Evan Habeeb/USA TODAY Sports

Baltimore Orioles chairman and CEO John Angelos said in a statement Monday that the team “will never leave” the city, days after his brother alleged in a lawsuit that a move to Tennessee was an option for the beleaguered club. 

“I want to assure our Orioles players and coaches, our dedicated front office senior leadership team and staff, and our devoted fans, trusted partners, elected, civic, and non-profit leaders, and our entire community, that the Orioles will never leave,” John Angelos wrote. 

His brother, Louis Angelos, filed a lawsuit in Maryland last week that seeks to restrain John Angelos and their mother, Georgia, from selling the team or the regional sports network MASN.  Louis Angelos also asked the court to remove his brother and their ailing father, Peter, from the trust. 

The lawsuit alleged John Angelos could “dictate whether the club remained in Baltimore under the present ownership, whether it changed hands, or whether it was stealthily loaded into moving vans.” 

“John intends to maintain absolute control over the Orioles — to manage, to sell or, if he chooses, to move to Tennessee (where he has a home and where his wife’s [music] career is headquartered [in Nashville]) — without having to answer to anyone,” the lawsuit alleged.

Peter Angelos, was left “disabled” after an aortic valve failure in 2017, accoridng to the civil complaint. Angelos, 92, bought the Orioles for $173 million in 1993 — a year after Camden Yards opened. 

The Orioles, currently valued at $1.4 billion, are in the midst of their sixth consecutive losing season. The team’s $45.5 million payroll is dead last in the MLB this season, about $2.4 million less than the Oakland A’s, another franchise exploring relocation. 

John Angelos, in his statement, referenced the Camden Yards Sports Complex legislation passed by the Maryland legislature and signed by Gov. Larry Hogan in April. The initiative commits $1.2 billion in public funding, split between the Orioles and the Ravens. 

“Maryland is committed to keeping our team in this great state, and I am equally committed to keeping the Orioles at the heart of our state,” John Angelos wrote. “As stewards of ‘The Ballpark That Forever Changed Baseball,’ we will continue to strengthen our community, generate another $10 billion in economic impact for the City of Baltimore and State of Maryland, and welcome another 70 million people to downtown Baltimore over the next 30 years and beyond. There is nothing uncertain about the future of the Baltimore Orioles.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
Golf - LIV Golf - United Kingdom - JCB Golf and Country Club, Uttoxeter, Britain - July 24, 2026 Crushers GC's Bryson DeChambeau in action as he hits a tee shot on the first hole during the second round
First at FOS

Production Company Sues LIV for $1.2M in Missed Payments

Fresh Tape managed logistics and on-site production for a LIV event in Florida.

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
August 8, 2026

Mavs Owner Dumont Hits Back at Cuban in Arena Fight

Cuban is required to arbitrate the dispute privately, Dumont claims.
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 5, 2026

Feds Say Rozier Friend Threatening Witnesses in NBA Gambling Case

Prosecutors say De’Niro Laster has been intimidating witnesses on social media.
DraftKings
August 4, 2026

DraftKings Dragged Into Prediction-Market Lawsuit Wave

DraftKings Predictions has been sued three times in the last week.
FILE PHOTO: New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks to the media in Norfolk, Virginia, U.S., October 24, 2025.
July 31, 2026

New York Calls Kalshi ‘Illegal Gambling Operation’ in $36B Suit

Kalshi called the lawsuit “political theater.”
July 28, 2026

Major Figure in NBA Betting Case Pleads Guilty to Poker Fraud

Shane Hennen is implicated in all three federal gambling probes.