Walt Disney Co. is reportedly making a pitch to acquire the NFL’s Sunday night matchup. NBC currently owns the NFL’s Sunday night rights — paying $960 million per year — and will likely vie to keep the marquee slot.
ABC could be the new home for the Sunday night game if Disney can swoop in on NBC’s negotiations. Disney’s ESPN currently spends almost $2 billion per year on the “Monday Night Football” matchup. All of the NFL’s media deals expire after the 2021 and 2022 seasons.
Current NFL Media Rights Deals
- “Monday Night Football” — $1.90 billion per year, ESPN
- AFC Sunday Package — $1.09 billion per year, CBS
- NFC Sunday Package — $1.08 billion per year, Fox
- “Sunday Night Football” — $960 million per year, NBC
- “Thursday Night Football” — $660 million per year, Fox