Sunday, May 24, 2026

Wimbledon’s New Era: Big Money and a Youth Movement

  • The emergence of young stars and retreat of several older ones give the venerable tournament a new look.
  • The All England Club continues to pursue a proposed, and politically divisive, expansion of its facility.
Susan Mullane-USA TODAY Sports

A youthful new era is rapidly emerging at the 147-year-old Wimbledon, one destined to shake up one of the most tradition-bound events in not only tennis, but all of sports. 

The major begins Monday in London, but many of its former champions and established stars are either absent or participating in a limited capacity. Two-time Wimbledon winner and 22-time major champion Rafael Nadal is skipping the tournament to prepare for the Paris Olympics. Novak Djokovic, a seven-time Wimbledon champion and last year’s runner-up, is still formally in the draw, but how effective he’ll be is still an open question after recent surgery for a torn meniscus in his right knee. A similar situation surrounds Andy Murray, another two-time Wimbledon winner but dealing with a back injury, and he’s waiting until Monday to decide whether to compete in singles. 

Spotlighting this year’s field instead is a rising wave of young stars including 2023 Wimbledon men’s champion Carlos Alcaraz (21 years old), top men’s seed Jannik Sinner (22), and top women’s players Iga Świątek (23), Coco Gauff (20), and Qinwen Zheng (21). 

New Money and Maybe New Facilities

This year’s Wimbledon also has a new monetary look as the All England Club raised the prize money fund by 11.9% to a record $64 million. Last year’s 8% bump in Wimbledon prize money helped prompt similar increases at the other three tennis majors, and is fueled in part by still-rising fan demand for tournament tickets. 

“Interest in attending Wimbledon has never been greater, with unprecedented demand for tickets through our public ballot and corporate hospitality,” said Deborah Jevans, All England Club chair.

The All England Club, meanwhile, is still attempting to pursue a dramatic, $250 million enlargement of its facility. Local officials have shown concern about the effort—several years in the making—to build a new, 8,000-seat stadium and 39 additional courts, but the matter is now in front of the office of London mayor Sadiq Khan in what remains a divisive local issue politically.

“I’m all for expanding. It’s bumper-to-bumper crowded when you walk into Wimbledon,” said Chris Evert, Tennis Hall of Famer and an ESPN broadcaster. “I definitely think that all the Grand Slams are going to continue [to pursue expansion]. It’s not going to stop now. I mean, whatever will suit the spectators, because they’re really the most important people in this whole thing, what makes it easier, more comfortable, more doable for them to roam around.”

Bristol Focus

ESPN’s “First Ball to Last Ball” coverage of the tournament will span more than 240 hours across the network and several other Disney-owned platforms.

The network’s coverage includes the addition of recently retired star player John Isner and the currently inactive Nick Kyrgios as guest commentators, something also advancing the theme of changing on-court talent at Wimbledon. Kyrgios, a finalist at this tournament two years ago, will also appear in the BBC’s event coverage.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Felix Rosenqvist Wins Wild Indy 500 After Record 70 Lead Changes

There were 14 different leaders at various points in the race.

Padres Star Tatis on Hook for Millions After Legal Setback

A judge ruled the Padres star cannot void an arbitrator’s ruling.

Big Money on the Line on Premier League’s Final Day

Arsenal has won the title, but millions are still at stake.

Sabalenka, Sinner Lead Coordinated Media Protest at French Open

The players are seeking increased revenue and improved benefits from Grand Slams.

Featured Today

Texas State mascot

Mascot-Reveal Videos Are the Newest College Sports Tradition

Student mascot unmasking videos are going mega-viral.
Charlie Pliner and Nikolas Rohrmann
May 22, 2026

How 2 Brown Undergrads Became Sports Dealmakers

An experimental project turned into a permanent course and business deal network.
May 14, 2026

NFL Rivalries Are Made on the Field, Mocked in Schedule Release Videos

Every year, teams find new ways to one-up themselves (and their rivals).
Bart Swings/Falyn Fonoimoana/Avery Poppinga
May 14, 2026

OnlyFans Is Paying Pro Athletes What Their Sports Won’t

The adult-content platform is a reliable income source for niche athletes.

Fever Get Warning, No Fine Over Caitlin Clark Injury Report

A WNBA source confirmed that they were not fined.
May 20, 2026

Jannik Sinner Headlines French Open Clouded By Player Unrest

Players will walk out of opening press conferences after 15 minutes.
May 21, 2026

Caitlin Clark’s Late Scratch Sparks WNBA Injury Report Questions

The Fever said she woke up with back soreness ahead of Wednesday’s game.
Sponsored

How Microsoft and the Premier League Are Making Fans Feel Closer to the Game

The Premier League reaches fans in 189 countries. Now, with Microsoft, it is making global fandom more personal through AI.
Valkyries President Jess Smith
May 19, 2026

Valkyries President: Team’s Projected $1B Valuation Is ‘Accurate’

The Valkyries were projected to be the first 10-figure WNBA team.
May 19, 2026

NFL Moves Closer to 10 International Games—and Could Hit 11

The league builds out further its international scheduling plans.
May 19, 2026

NFL Sets Another Super Bowl Without Dates As Schedule Questions Loom

The home markets of the Titans and Vikings each landed a big event.
Mar 30, 2026; Las Vegas, Nevada, USA; Vegas Golden Knights head coach John Tortorella holds a presser after the Golden Knights defeated the Vancouver Canucks 4-2 at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-Imagn Images
May 19, 2026

NHL Denies Appeal for John Tortorella, Golden Knights

Tortorella was fined $100,000 and the team was docked a draft pick.