Three Rebel Super League Clubs Dealt Legal Blow

    • A Spanish judge previously said FIFA and UEFA couldn’t sanction teams for participating, but the ruling was reversed on Thursday.
    • The European Super League was officially announced about a year ago.

The future of a Super League in European soccer faces yet another hurdle.

Last year, a judge said FIFA and UEFA couldn’t sanction teams for participating, but the ruling was reversed on Thursday — a legal blow for the three remaining clubs: Barcelona, Juventus, and Real Madrid.

  • The Madrid court found that teams could move forward with the plan even if they faced punishment by other governing bodies.
  • In a statement to multiple outlets, a UEFA spokesperson said the organization “welcomes” the ruling and is “considering its implications.”

There is, however, the possibility for a further appeal.

A Fraught Start

The European Super League was officially announced about a year ago, on April 18, 2021. It would have included 12 founding members and featured midweek competition in addition to the teams’ participation in other leagues. 

But by the time the announcement was a day old, a deluge of public criticism forced most of its teams to abandon the concept. 

Florentino Perez, Real Madrid president and also the head of the Super League,  has consistently claimed the idea is not dead yet. But currently, only the three clubs remain interested.