Friday, August 21, 2026

Scott Boras Calls Out MLB Owners As Vlad Guerrero Jr. Faces Free Agency

After an extensive series of nine-figure player deals over the MLB offseason, there’s still an apparent disconnect from revenue in the eyes of some. 

Nick Turchiaro-Imagn Images

MLB’s offseason hot-stove period, now giving way to spring training camps, contained plenty of big-dollar deals, and even a historic one with Juan Soto. In the eyes of some agents and stars, however, it’s still not enough. 

Scott Boras, agent to Soto and many other MLB players, lamented the spending patterns over the winter that still have left five clubs with sub-$100 million payrolls for the 2025 season according to current luxury tax calculations.

“You’ve got a number of teams that are spending below $100 million,” Boras said on the Foul Territory podcast.“Last year, there were six teams spending below $100 million, and the money they get from the general fund is above that.”

Boras particularly has been on the frontlines of the spending patterns. After initial success with Soto’s $765 million contract with the Mets, a $182 million pact for pitcher Blake Snell with the Dodgers, and another for $210 million between the Diamondbacks and pitcher Corbin Burnes, he later saw Alex Bregman and Pete Alonso sign for far smaller deals than first envisioned. 

It’s hardly a new scenario for Boras to push for MLB clubs to spend more on players. Rather, it’s been a big element of the mega-agent’s public profile for years. The roughly $330 million payroll gap between the ultra-powerful Dodgers and bottom-dwelling Marlins going into the new season, however, raises additional levels of questions about player spending. 

“It’s not small market–large market. It’s how much of your revenues are you spending on a 40-man roster to show your fans you’re committed,” Boras said.

Angst in Toronto

Blue Jays superstar Vladimir Guerrero Jr., meanwhile, has formally turned down a contract extension offer that would have kept him in Toronto, and he is now set to become a free agent in November. The 25-year-old (who is represented by Magnus Sports, not the Boras Corporation) is poised to be one of the leading available players after the 2025 season, but he failed to find common ground in initial contract talks with the Blue Jays. 

“They have their numbers. I have my numbers,” Guerrero said Tuesday.

“I want to be here. I want to be a Blue Jay for the rest of my career. But it’s free agency. It’s business. So I’m going to have to listen to 29 more teams, and they’re going to have to compete for that,” he said. 

Toronto GM Ross Atkins, however, defended the team’s efforts.

“I am confident that we exhausted the communication, the ideas, the thoughts, and communicated every dollar,” he said. “The offers that we made for Vlad would have been record-setting and would’ve made him one of the highest-paid players in the game.”

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Aug 6, 2026; Canton, Ohio, USA; The NFL shield logo on the field before the Carolina Panthers and Arizona Cardinals play at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium. Mandatory Credit:
Exclusive

The Athletic in Talks to Provide Content to NFL Media Properties

Such content could appear on NFL.com and the NFL+ app.
Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
First at FOS

Key NFL Committees Clear Way for $9.6 Billion Seahawks Sale

The sale is now likely to be ratified next week.
The Delaware Life logo is seen on a web browser in this illustration taken on August 17, 2026.

Mark Walter Has Been Here Before. What Happens Next?

“There’s fraud here,” one expert tells FOS.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.

Carlos Alcaraz to Return at US Open After Four-Month Absence

It’s not yet clear if Jannik Sinner will join him.
August 18, 2026

LeBron Quickly Ascending Golf Content-Creator Ranks

The NBA star started playing golf only last year.
August 19, 2026

Ogwumike to Play in Project B Despite WNBA Retirement

She will still play for Project B, the new global basketball league.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
August 17, 2026

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Controversy

Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.
Exclusive
August 17, 2026

Vote Coming to Ease Tennis Stars’ Schedules

The vote will likely take place during the US Open.
August 16, 2026

Scheffler Passes McIlroy, Pulls Behind Woods in Total Earnings

He can break Woods’s record at the BMW Championship in St. Louis.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Final Year of Brandon Clarke’s NBA Contract Voided After Death

Clarke died in May in Los Angeles.