Thursday, August 20, 2026

Retracted Bronny James Transfer Report Takes Media for a Ride

  • Bronny James’s future has been a constant source of speculation in the media for months. 
  • Andy Enfield recently leaving USC for SMU gave a false transfer report some legs.
James Snook-USA TODAY Sports

A report sent a shock through the college sports landscape Tuesday night: Bronny James was entering the transfer portal. 

Then it came out that he had done no such thing—yet. 

Veteran hoops reporter Dick Weiss tweeted that Bronny, the son of NBA legend LeBron James would enter the transfer portal after one season at Southern California. “Good for him,” Weiss wrote in the since-deleted tweet. “Needs to get away from the Hollywood hype. Best of luck to LeBron’s kid.”

Weiss ultimately retracted the report hours later, but not before outlets ran with it, and the speculation began as to where he could land. The recent news cycle gave legs to such a move. USC coach Andy Enfield recently left for Southern Methodist, and coaching changes correlate with player transfers. Additionally, Dru Joyce, LeBron’s high school teammate and close friend, recently became the head coach at Duquesne, taking over for their former high school coach Keith Dambrot, who retired after leading the Dukes to their first NCAA tournament in more than 40 years. Could a smaller school and familiar face help the younger James’s NBA prospects?

After the Lakers beat the Raptors in Toronto, LeBron couldn’t confirm Weiss’s report, casting immediate doubts upon its accuracy. Bronny hasn’t dealt with the media much since coming into the public eye, which has made his dad his pseudo-spokesperson. 

“I don’t know where it came from,” James said. “But at the end of the day Bronny is his own man. He has some tough decisions to make and, when he’s ready to make those decisions, he’ll let us all know. But as his family, we’ll support whatever he does.” 

Bronny’s first and perhaps only college season began with a scary cardiac arrest last summer, and a rocky year on the court.

LeBron has said he’d love to play with his son in the NBA before he retires, which would make them the first father and son to do so. Bronny declaring would also give buzz to an NBA draft that is considered to be among the worst in recent years, following a draft headlined by 7’4″ French sensation Victor Wembanyama. With the elder James set to be a free agent this summer, Bronny’s draft status could have major implications.

The Orange County Register reported in the wake of the Weiss post that Bronny was more likely to declare for the draft than change schools. Weiss ultimately deleted his original tweet, but the damage had been done. 

“Can’t confirm Bronny James story guys,” Weiss tweeted. “Still think its [sic] an idea whose time has come. make sense if it happens. I love the kid, think he could be a star elsewhere.”

Reputable recruiting sites such as On3 had already run with the report; On3 and other outlets scrambled to change their headlines.

Bronny has until April 27 to enter the NBA draft and May 1 to enter the transfer portal. 

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Judge: Players Can Go From NFL Training Camp Back to College

The ruling stemmed from a lawsuit challenging the NCAA’s new eligibility model.
Emory Eagles guard Ben Pearce (10) passes around Mary Washington Eagles forward Jay Randall (11) on Sunday, April 5, 2026, during the NCAA DIII men's basketball championship game at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Division III Basketball Star Sues NCAA for 5th Year of Eligibility

If the case is successful, thousands more NCAA athletes could receive eligibility.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
Exclusive

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/20/26 -McAfee Joins ESPN’s ‘MNC,’ Walter’s $17B Problem, Bueckers-Fudd Go Public

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.
U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) talks to reporters at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 6, 2026.
August 7, 2026

College Sports Bill Faces Steep Hurdles Before August Recess

The Congressional Black Caucus said it would not support the bill.