Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Latest Filing In EA College Football Lawsuit May Delay Game Release

  • The Brandr Group is asking the court to prohibit EA from doing business with schools and athletes at issue in the lawsuit.
  • If they prevail, there’s a possibility the release of EA College Football could be delayed, legal experts said.
Dec 31, 2022; New Orleans, LA, USA; Alabama Crimson Tide running back Jahmyr Gibbs (1) runs the ball against Kansas State Wildcats safety Josh Hayes (1) during the second half in the 2022 Sugar Bowl at Caesars Superdome.
Andrew Wevers-USA TODAY Sports

The newest development in the lawsuit between a group licensing agency called The Brandr Group and Electronic Arts over the future EA College Football Game could potentially delay the game’s release date.

The Brandr Group has filed a request for a temporary restraining order that would prohibit EA from offering deals to schools and athletes at issue in the lawsuit. If The Brandr Group wins, they could file for an injunction — keeping EA from taking these actions until the lawsuit dispute is settled altogether. 

EA Sports and the Problem With NIL in Video Games

The game has been shrouded in controversy.
June 24, 2023

In a statement to Front Office Sports, EA reiterated its plan to “bring back EA College Football in summer 2024.” The game’s delay, then, depends on the success of this motion, the duration of the lawsuit, and EA’s evolving plans.

Front Office Sports broke the news of the lawsuit, which was filed last week. In it, The Brandr Group claims EA is attempting to “circumvent” its exclusive contracts to negotiate group licensing deals on behalf of schools and athletes. The Brandr Group has negotiating rights for 54 schools who could be in the game, as well as athletes at these schools who have signed individual contracts to work with The Brandr Group, the company said in court documents.

While the lawsuit proceeds, The Brandr Group is now asking the court to halt or prevent EA from doing business with schools and athletes it believes are under its jurisdiction. That amounts to three requests, Boise State sports law professor Sam Ehrlich explained to FOS: 

  • EA must stop “soliciting” schools and athletes under Brandr’s jurisdiction to opt into the game
  • Sever any existing partnerships that EA has with Brandr Group schools
  • Refrain from signing contracts with athletes who The Brandr Group has jurisdiction over

The Brandr Group has declined to comment on matters of ongoing litigation. But in court documents, the company said: “Any potential (marginal) harm to EA Sports is far outweighed by the irreparable harm that will be prevented by protecting the contractual rights of TBG and its Partner Schools, and especially the interests of the Client Athletes who stand to miss out on fair compensation for their participation in the Game and immeasurable financial opportunities in the future given EA’s exclusivity requirements.”

EA filed its response on Tuesday evening, noting in a statement to FOS: “As we have said before, we believe the complaint does not have any merit, and this is no different.” 

Court documents argued that The Brandr Group has no claim over any athletes. “Brandr asserts that granting an injunction is in the public interest because EA’s actions amount to ‘anticompetitive conduct,’” EA said in court documents. “But if anything, it is Brandr—not EA—that seeks to restrain student-athletes’ ability to contract freely. Brandr’s proposed injunction would frustrate student-athletes’ ability to make individual choices regarding whether they want to license their NIL rights and be included in EA’s game.”

If The Brandr Group ultimately wins an injunction, the game could be delayed, Ehlrich and sports attorney Mit Winter agreed. However, that depends on a couple factors. 

First, the duration of the lawsuit: EA said in court documents that while it has encouraged schools to opt in by June 30, it’s not a requirement. EA also hasn’t begun the athlete opt-in process — it won’t be sure which athletes will be eligible for the game until spring of 2024, as the game will be based on the 2024-25 season. If the lawsuit isn’t settled by the spring of 2024, EA could have a problem.

Second, whether EA feels it needs the schools and athletes in The Brandr Group’s jurisdiction, or if it wants to simply go ahead without them. And third, whether EA throws up its hands altogether, and decides to make the game without any players at all.

Though the lawsuit is about jurisdiction over athlete negotiations, rather than fair compensation, it comes on the heels of The Brandr Group and others criticizing reported terms of the EA deal.

EA told The Athletic it hasn’t finalized the terms of the deals. But reports suggest they would amount to about $500 per player and no royalties — along with strict exclusivity agreements for athletes. While it’s common practice to offer all athletes the same amount of money, athletes’ earnings would be far below industry standard given that all video games offer participating characters recurring royalty checks. 

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Deion Sanders takes in the second day of Cleveland Browns training camp, July 30, 2026, in Berea, Ohio.

Colorado’s ‘Prime Effect’ Is Wearing Off

Fewer national TV broadcasts loom for Colorado following a 3–9 season.

Teams, Brands Troll Jayden Daniels After LSU Controversy

Daniels sent a cease-and-desist letter after LSU gave away his No. 5.
First at FOS

Snapback Sports Gets Patch Deal With Sam Houston State, With Perks

It’s just the second patch deal secured by a Conference USA school.
Exclusive

Tarleton State Wants to Jump to the FBS

The Texans are having conversations about how to reach the next level.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/19/26 – Lakers Family Feud, NFL Eyes Overseas Team, Knicks Embarrass Nets

0:00

Featured Today

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
WPBL
July 30, 2026

Who’s Playing Women’s Professional Baseball?

Sixty players from 11 countries are descending on Illinois for six weeks.
Oct 6, 2025; Charlotte, NC, USA; SMU player Kyla Deck answers questions from the media at The Hilton Charlotte Uptown.

SMU Women’s Basketball Player Sues NCAA Over Transfer Restrictions

It could set a precedent for more challenges to NCAA transfer restrictions.
First at FOS
August 13, 2026

Illinois’s $30M Busey Bank Deal: Exec Road Trips, Player Job Pipeline

The jersey patch deal is part of an overall $30 million sponsorship.
August 13, 2026

Jayden Daniels Sets Off Firestorm at LSU Over Jersey Number

The Commanders quarterback sent LSU a cease-and-desist letter for using his NIL.
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
North Carolina Tar Heels guard Seth Trimble (7) drives to the basket Thursday, March 19, 2026, during the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament first round game against the VCU Rams at Bon Secours Wellness Arena in Greenville, South Carolina.
August 12, 2026

Athletes Capitalizing As NCAA Fights to Overturn New Eligibility Ruling

An appeals court will consider whether to pause the initial ruling.
Mar 21, 2026; Orlando, Florida, USA; Orlando Magic guard Desmond Bane (3) reacts after a play against the Los Angeles Lakers in the fourth quarter at Kia Center. Mandatory Credit: Nathan Ray Seebeck-Imagn Images
August 11, 2026

Desmond Bane Wants College Basketball to Add a Salary Cap

Bane is TCU’s chief basketball officer.
Inside NCAA Headquarters located in Indianapolis on Friday, March 10, 2023. Ncaa President Charlie Baker
August 11, 2026

NCAA Loses First Appeal of Class of 2022 Eligibility Injunction

The NCAA lost its first battle to get the ruling overturned.
U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) talks to reporters at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C., U.S., August 6, 2026.
August 7, 2026

College Sports Bill Faces Steep Hurdles Before August Recess

The Congressional Black Caucus said it would not support the bill.