Saturday, August 22, 2026
Law

The FTC Noncompete Ruling Could Change MMA As We Know It

  • In April, the FTC banned noncompete clauses in contracts.
  • As independent contractors, fighters could see their options—and earnings—grow.
Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
Jan 18, 2024; Boulder, Colorado, USA; General view of a Fox Sports broadcast microphone before the game between the Oregon Ducks against the Colorado Buffaloes at the CU Events Center. Mandatory Credit: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports
Exclusive

Steven Ruiz Leaving The Ringer for Fox Sports

Ruiz had been with The Ringer since 2021.
Read Now
August 21, 2026 |

In January 2022, Cameroonian heavyweight superstar Francis Ngannou defended his UFC title defense against Ciryl Gane, in a fight that saw the knockout artist shed his slugger image for a tactical and workmanlike victory over the French contender. The defense marked Ngannou’s arrival at the zenith of the UFC hierarchy, and it set up a clash with one of MMA’s GOATs in Jon Jones. 

But despite the hype, the fight never materialized. The issue was due to a prolonged contract dispute between Ngannou and the UFC, in which the two parties could not agree on terms. “In that contract, I’m not free,” Ngannou said when his requests were not met. The standoff culminated in the Cameroonian star departing the UFC: Rather than participate in the restrictive agreement, Ngannou simply left. 

Now, this type of standoff may be a thing of the past. In April, the Federal Trade Commission ruled to outlaw noncompete clauses on contracts, which the agency has hailed as “protecting the fundamental freedom of workers.” These changes, set to take effect Sept. 4, could affect nearly 20% of U.S. workers, according to the FTC. 

“They are common in everyday life,” says Jason Cruz, a Seattle-based lawyer who specializes in MMA law. “Accounting, IT, law, they all have several iterations of noncompetes.”

But beyond desk jobs, they are also commonplace in combat sports. For years, fighters in the UFC—who are considered independent contractors—have been subjected to extensive noncompete clauses as their contracts lapse. But with the FTC’s ruling, two key, common provisions in UFC contracts are in jeopardy. And if legal challenges to the FTC’s move fail to stop the ruling, a world of noncompetes could radically change how the fight game operates.


UFC contracts have historically been rigid, making it difficult for fighters looking to make changes. 

First, these documents contain exclusive negotiating periods of one month that prevent fighters from entering into talks with rival promotions, even if their contracts have expired. For the following four months, the UFC is guaranteed the right to match all offers from rival promotions. This setup essentially puts fighters under lock and key for nearly half a year. Additionally, the UFC’s “champion’s clause” allows the league to nonnegotiably extend champions’ contracts by a full year. Experts argue that these provisions are designed explicitly to prevent fighters from driving up wages by entering into a bidding war with competition. 

Although a five-month period sounds brief, fighters on UFC contracts can be paid as little as $15,000 per fight, according to contracts reviewed by Front Office Sports. For those relying on fights for income to cover training, management, and living expenses, that period can be a financial make-or-break. 

In a post-noncompete world, situations that currently keep fighters’ hands tied could shake out very differently. In Ngannou’s case, for instance, both the exclusive negotiation periods as well as the champion’s clause—which the UFC was using for the first time—might not even be valid. He could instead be free to enter into negotiations with other promotions immediately. Although Ngannou was ultimately able to find a way out in a complex arrangement in 2022—a five-year sunset clause that voided his contract and enabled him to promote and fight in boxing matches with Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury—the ruling means fighters should now have far more freedom.

Sergei Belski-USA TODAY Sports

Should the FTC change stand, fighters will be able to immediately test the open market and engage in negotiations with competing promotions, which can drive up wages. “The FTC ruling could help fighters with the ability to move from promotion to promotion quicker,” Cruz tells FOS. “I could see lower-tier fighters, guys that aren’t making a lot of money. If they are willing to jump over to PFL [the Professional Fighters League] and see how it is, they could probably make more.” 

With the traditional state of contracts, the UFC “can impede the core leverage that these workers would have, which is to shop on an open market and get [promotions] bidding off of each other. And that leverage is really critical for worker bargaining power,” says David Seligman, a Colorado-based employment lawyer and director of Towards Justice, a worker advocacy group. 

Top fighters with major earning potential stand to benefit from the changes, but Cruz also says that because of the UFC’s dominance of the sport of MMA (more than 90 cents of every dollar spent on MMA is spent with the UFC), the ruling is most likely to benefit rank-and-file, mid-tier fighters than the sport’s biggest stars.

“UFC is synonymous with MMA. When people who don’t follow mixed martial arts talk about mixed martial arts, they say ‘UFC,’” says Cruz. He believes major stars aren’t going anywhere—Alex Pereira wouldn’t defend his light heavyweight title and then jump to the PFL—but a strong ban on noncompetes would let lower-profile fighters earn closer to their market value by more freely jumping among promotions.


The ruling won’t change the sport overnight. 

First, there are legal challenges that could prevent it from taking effect in any industry before it triggers in September. In early July, a Texas court partially blocked the ruling while other objections are working their way through the courts. In her ruling, Judge Ada Brown said “the FTC lacks substantive rulemaking authority with respect to unfair methods of competition.” The ruling may also find itself kicked up to the Supreme Court, where its fate is shaky.

Even if the ruling is codified, it’s still unclear how current MMA provisions will fare under the ban. For instance, will the champion’s clause be included? According to Cruz, the answer would depend on how many fights are left on an athlete’s contract when they win a UFC title. If a fighter were to become champion in the middle of their contract versus at the end, the champion’s clause extension could remain legal. 

“[Contracts are] all designed to retain their investment. You want to retain your investment and keep [fighters] as long as possible at the rate that they are contracted to,” says Cruz. But the ruling forces the UFC to negotiate with talent for a new contract—or else they’re watching champions leave.

A future of noncompetes could mean the UFC’s stranglehold on the MMA market could let up, instead devolving into a bidding war with some of the hottest talent in the world up for auction. 

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sign up for
The Memo Newsletter

Get the biggest stories and best analysis on the business of sports delivered to your inbox twice every weekday and twice on weekends.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Linkedin
Whatsapp
Copy Link
Link Copied
Link Copied

What to Read

Mar 28, 2025; Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA; Minnesota Timberwolves minority owners Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez celebrate the team's win over the Phoenix Suns at Target Center

Why Flood of NBA Team Sales Isn’t Slowing

Often it’s less about love of team, more about love of returns.

Appeals Court Pauses Fifth Year of Eligibility Order

An appeals court has yet to make a final decision.

Marc Lore Sells Wolves in Another NBA Ownership Stunner

The move comes just 14 months after Lore took over in Minnesota.
Sep 7, 2025; Flushing, NY, USA; Jannik Sinner (ITA) reacts against Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) (not pictured) during the final of mens singles at Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Jannik Sinner Announces He Will Miss the US Open

Carlos Alcaraz announced Thursday that he will return at the US Open.
podcast thumbnail mobile
Front Office Sports Today

8/21/26 – Jeanie Buss’s Ownership Battle, US Open’s Record Purse, Harden Hits $500M

0:00

Featured Today

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Burnley - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - May 18, 2026 Arsenal's Kai Havertz scores their first goal past Burnley's Max Weiss

Why the Premier League’s Star-Power Shortage Doesn’t Matter

The world’s richest soccer league doesn’t rely on big stars to dominate.
August 12, 2026

Trendy Golf Hat Divide Is More Than a Fashion Fight

As golf has gotten trendier, so has the sport’s style.
Joey Spallina of the Maryland Whipsnakes
August 6, 2026

How Eye Black Became ‘War Paint’ on the Field

“You’re going into battle, doing something you only do on game days.”
August 6, 2026

Tom Brady Explains His Aggressive Push Into Trading Cards

Brady talked to FOS about his eponymous card company.
FILE PHOTO: Cricket - Indian Premier League - IPL - Mumbai Indians v Chennai Super Kings - Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai, India - April 23, 2026 Mumbai Indians' Suryakumar Yadav in action
August 5, 2026

India Is Stealing Cricket’s Throne From England and Australia

India’s insatiable appetite for cricket has shifted the traditional locus of power.
Oct 19, 2024; Tucson, Arizona, USA; Colorado Buffalos head coach Deion Sanders against the Arizona Wildcats at Arizona Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

Deion Sanders Facing Fraud Lawsuit Over ‘Prime’ Logo

A graphic designer is suing Sanders and multiple companies alleging false promises.
The Delaware Life logo is seen on a web browser in this illustration taken on August 17, 2026.
August 20, 2026

Mark Walter Has Been Here Before. What Happens Next?

“There’s fraud here,” one expert tells FOS.
Nov 6, 2023; Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA; Alabama guard Kai Spears (32) a walk on guard, takes a three late in the game at Coleman Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Gary Cosby Jr.-USA TODAY Sports
August 21, 2026

New York Times Loses $9.25M Defamation Verdict to Ex-Alabama Player

The outlet called the inaccurate report “an honest mistake.”
Sponsored

Saints Great Turns to Ownership

Marques Colston discusses his Champions Fund launch and finding success after football.
Golf - LIV Golf - United Kingdom - JCB Golf and Country Club, Uttoxeter, Britain - July 24, 2026 Crushers GC's Bryson DeChambeau in action as he hits a tee shot on the first hole during the second round
First at FOS
August 18, 2026

Production Company Sues LIV for $1.2M in Missed Payments

Fresh Tape managed logistics and on-site production for a LIV event in Florida.
August 14, 2026

MSG Gets Major Win in Ninth Year of Charles Oakley Legal Battle

A judge granted summary judgment in MSG’s favor.
August 14, 2026

Cubs, Nationals in Trademark Fight with WNBA Over ‘The W’

The baseball teams claim the league’s filing could cause “confusion.”
First at FOS
August 14, 2026

Panini Says Fanatics Cheated to Win NBA, NFL Card Deals

The allegations were made in a new court filing.