FIFA President Backpedals From Biennial Proposal For Men’s World Cup

    • FIFA president Gianni Infantino has backpedaled from plans to hold the men’s World Cup every two years.
    • On Thursday, Infantino said the previous FIFA congress had merely agreed to “study the feasibility” of a biennial World Cup.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has backpedaled from plans to hold the men’s World Cup every two years, rather than every four years.

On Thursday, Infantino said that a proposal hasn’t been made — instead, the previous FIFA congress had merely agreed to “study the feasibility” of a biennial World Cup.

Now, there will be a “phase to find the grievance and to find the compromises,” he told the FIFA Congress.

  • Previously, Infantino had claimed a biennial World Cup would generate $4.4 billion.
  • Another report found it would cost UEFA and other big soccer leagues close to $9 billion per year.

Infantino’s comments follow several strong protests. In early March, UEFA president Aleksander Čeferin said the proposal was “a no-go for everyone in football.” And in February, a survey of 1,000 players found that only a quarter would support the project.

Alternative Options

Innovation around international soccer competition isn’t completely off the table, however. 

Čeferin has suggested an annual competition between the Copa America champions and European champions. FIFA vice president Victor Montagliani also suggested alterations to the Confederations Cup or Nations League.